Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faded_glory

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2016
So it requires physical access to a Mac that's not just "unlocked" but that has the Users dialogue open with the padlock showing that the pane is unlocked as well. So, no risk if no one else has physical access to the machine or those that do don't know the password. Not exactly like anyone can log in with root, requiring no unlocking at all. So, a bug? Yes. A catastrophic and highly embarrassing failure? Not really.

flowsy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2009
Germany

So it requires physical access to a Mac that's not just "unlocked" but that has the Users dialogue open with the padlock showing that the pane is unlocked as well. So, no risk if no one else has physical access to the machine or those that do don't know the password. Not exactly like anyone can log in with root, requiring no unlocking at all. So, a bug? Yes. A catastrophic and highly embarrassing failure? Not really.

*...and it also provides access at the login screen of a locked Mac.*

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It also works from a guest account.

gnurf

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
I'm not sure why it's not working for some, but one possible reason might be the Server app. I have it installed, and the second attempt let me in.

There are some who recommend enabling the root account, setting a password, then disabling it again. This is wrong. You can perform the hack again when root is disabled. Just leave it enabled with a proper password.

Reactions: VulchR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.