Major Mail.app and Exchange Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ckeck, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I'm hoping someone has some insight as I've been fighting with this issue for months =\

I picked up Snow Leopard the day it was released for 1 feature in-particular...Exchange integration within Mail.app, iCal, AddressBook, etc.

My corporate email is all Exchange 2007 based and shortly after I installed Snow Leopard I set up my account in Mail.app and it worked beautifully, for about 1 month. After that and out of the blue I started experiencing some major issues. About 60% of the time when I go to my Exchange account in Mail.app NO messages will show up in my Inbox or sub-folders. When they do show up, about 50% of the messages in the list I click on will not show any content from the body of the message or the headers. In addition, my inbox which probably has a measly 500 messages only shows about 100. Some folders show their content and some don't.

I do not understand why this issue started to happen after it was working PERFECT for about one month. I have deleted the account and re-added several times. I've also completely reinstalled Snow Leopard from scratch a few weeks ago and the problem still persists.

Someone somewhere mentioned Mail.app had problems with a lot of messages which I didn't have to begin with, but I cleaned up about 60% of my mailbox in Entourage yesterday and then tried again...same issue.

Keep in mind during all of this, Entourage works perfect as well as Exchange OWA.

Thanks for any help, it would be such a relief to get this fixed. Entourage isn't that bad, but I hate having to flip-flop between Mail.app and Entourage for my personal and work accounts.

2. grahamwright1 macrumors regular

I've got around 17,650 emails in my Exchange 2007 inbox and they all appear as expected in my Mail app on my MacBook. When I connect from home with my MacPro via VPN, I have seen problems where it's trying to synchronize email after I made a lot of changes in the office but eventually the inbox appears as expected on the home system.

Have you taken a look at the "View Message, ALL Headers" to compare a "good" and "problem" email? There may be something in the headers that can point you in the right direction here.

3. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Nothing helpful there, thanks for the tip though =\

I've also given it plenty of time to update and sync from the server. Most of the sub-folders seem to have their data, but the inbox...nothing or only the last 4-5 emails.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How many times does it have to be said? All implementations of Exchange are unique. If you have a problem with it, then you need to take the issue to your IT staff because they have access to your server. If you take the issue to my staff, then they will not have a clue. Certainly I will not have a clue and neither will anyone else on this forum.

5. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Are you serious? This holds true for ALL situations on this forum, or the vast majority. Countless users problems here are unique to them, their hardware, their software setup and configuration, but this does not stop the community from stepping in and trying to help. If you didn't want to offer any real help you should have just moved on.

For your edification however, my IT staff is of NO help. Some people have problems and some other users accounts seem to work just fine. Mine was working perfect a few months back and now this, and according to our Helpdesk nothing has changed.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are trying to conflate unrelated issues about unrelated things. Certainly people coming to this forum have unique issues. One person can't figure out how to do mail merge in Pages; another wants to install MacOS X on an HP calculator. This is not what I am talking about.

You asked about a problem with a specific software product, Microsoft Exchange Server. It is that specific product that I was talking about. You have to get your brain around the fact that Microsoft Exchange Server is not a fixed target. As I said before, every Exchange installation is unique. As I said before, only those who administer your server can possibly help you. They fact that they are idiots notwithstanding.

Do you think that your idiots are any more idiotic than the idiots who run my Exchange server? Not hardly. So, get over yourself.

One of the things that may have happened is that your IT staff may have changed the server in some significant way. Microsoft Outlook is pretty good about keeping up with changes to Exchange Server. My guess is that MacOS X 10.6 Mail is not. My suggestion is to redo your Exchange settings within Mail. You won't lose anything because your data are stored on the Server.

7. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

You are obviously confused -- I asked about a specific problem with Apple Mail, not Microsoft Exchange Server. If you had read my entire post thoroughly you would have realized that other users continue to use Mail.app and our Exchange server without any issues. Mine *used* to work fine as well until a few months ago. I've deleted the account many times over, deleted over 50% of my mail through Entourage, reinstalled Snow Leopard clean, checked with our IT staff.

Some other users experience it and some don't -- Apple Mail just seems to be extremely hit/miss.

Yes

Nope, I've harassed them several times about this already and its working fine for other users still so it has to be isolated. iCal and AddressBook are working fine with the GAL, so I'm near 100% certain it is not a server issue. While I'd love to blame M$, I think this issue lies somewhere in Mail.app =\