Major MBP Display Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mitch2003, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Mitch2003 macrumors newbie

I've tried searching, but have found no solution for my problem... Basically the colors are totally messed up.

Anyone have any ideas?

It has done this before, but corrected by a restart. Now, it seems permanent.

I attached 2 pics, one is Black on White, the other White on Black, both funky.

Attached Files:

2. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

That looks really bad! You should take it in to an apple store, with weird problems such as this, apple sometimes warranties their products- with, or with out apple care.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I don't get freaked out by a lot of stuff, but certain combinations of colors do it for me. Your two pics? Yeah. Adblocked. Permanently.

Um, I'd take that to the Apple store if it bugs you anywhere nearly as much as it disturbed me. There's no way I'd be able to use a display like that ever again.

4. Osprey macrumors 6502

And people complained about a yellow screen. Wish I had an answer to your screen problem. I would take it in immediately. It reminds me of a special effect that is available in Adobe Photoshop. Hope your problem screen gets fixed soon and I hope you have applecare. Good luck.

5. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

6. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Apple would probably fix this in or out of warrenty.

7. tammy418 macrumors member

To me it looks like the colors have been inverted, go to system preferences -> universal access and on the seeing tab make sure that black on white is selected instead on white on black.

There is a key combination..I think it's ctrl-option-cmd-8 or something

If the above doesn't work i'd definitely take to an apple store.:(

8. Mitch2003 thread starter macrumors newbie

That was originally what I thought the problem was. However, it was not... The two images are Black on White and White on Black, and both are messed up...

9. Mitch2003 thread starter macrumors newbie

I also booted into Vista and had the same graphic anomalies.

10. tammy418 macrumors member

Oh sorry I guess I didn't see the last sentence above the pictures. In that case I agree with the above posters you need to take it to an apple store or something, especially since the problem is independent of the OS you're running.

11. candoo macrumors newbie

Howdy,

unfortunately some bad news, looks like you've cracked your lcd, as it's independant of OS. Not sure if apple will cover that even if it's within warranty, but worth a go.

12. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

I have seen cases like this on the 15" PowerBook G4 Aluminum, last time I saw it was the logic board, not the LCD. Could also be a bad video cable. Hook it up to an external display and see if you get the same distorted colors.

13. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

thats what it looks like, but he said it was fixed temporarily with a restart...

14. Matiek macrumors member

I've seen this on cell phones that I've dropped in water. Do you live in a cold/humid place where condensation could have gotten in the display? Have you had any wet experiences with your MBP?

15. Matiek macrumors member

Try the apple store, you might get lucky, but my guess is that water has corroded something inside your machine.

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

In warranty, yes, if it's manufacturing defect, NOT user damage.

Out of warranty, highly unlikely.

How does it look on an external monitor or projector?

17. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

whatever this is, keep us updated on the outcome of taking this to the apple store or wherever. The external lcd test is a good idea too! See if it's your LCD going crazy or the motherboard or elsewhere.

Either way, let us know how it turns out!

18. Templex macrumors regular

That's definitely not the LCD, more like the video cable or the graphics chip.

19. weblogik macrumors regular

I own a mbp, and yes you are right, it's not supposed to look like that.

20. Mitch2003 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:
    while the mbp display is wonky an external display looks fine. Restarting with the external display plugged in and the lid closed fixed the prob at least for now.

The bad news is that this has only happened about 3 times since I got it almost 2 years ago and I don't know how to replicate it on demand for the apple geniuses.