Major MBP Problems! Only 5 weeks old!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bc008, Jul 1, 2008.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

earlier today i noticed their was some striping on my screen.. i tried a reset but that seemed to make it all worse. my apps are always quitting, and i am always reporting it to apple.

i thought installing the new update for leopard would help, but the update actually failed, and i got a popup saying "update cannot be installed, contact software creator"

help!

edit: the striping isnt fixed on the screen, it only appears on a couple images etc.

edit: Read post #7 for updated info

2. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

anyone? i have to use the downstairs computer because no apps will stay open long enough without quitting...

edit: here is the message i get when trying to install osx

Attached Files:

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I would do the following. You may have some corrupted caches, disk file system corruption, etc.

1. SMC reset
    2. PRAM reset
    3. Safe Boot

I would also download the combo updater (10.5.4) instead of using the delta updater that Software Update downloads.

When it comes to OS updates, always do it in Safe Boot mode and use the combo updaters. This will resolve a lot of issues.

4. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

THANK YOU! a simple pram reset stopped the screen striping and the applications quitting, and the combo installer from apple.com did the trick!

for future software updates how to i get into safe boot mode?

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Safe Boot...

Upon restart or startup, as soon as you here the bong, hold down the shift key until you see the spinning gear on the grey screen, then let go of the key. Safe boot takes much longer than a regular boot since the OS is doing a lot behind the scenes (removing hardware cache files, file system check/repair (fsck), etc). It could take up to 10 minutes or so, just be patient. Eventually you will get to the Login screen with the words "Safe Boot" in red.

6. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

i am posting this because i feel this is related to the same overall issue..

whenever i try to combine an event in iphoto, iphoto quits unexpectedly...

is my HD failing?

7. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

update: Well, My HD is indeed failing.
    was upgraded to 250 GB's by apple and it is already starting to fail..
    my entire computer was messing up, so i tried to do an erase and install version of leopard.

anyways i ended up having to download about 3 different times, all getting different warnings, some talking about the disks were damaged, others saying files couldnt be written on the HD itself..

after all this I called applecare. They told be that they would be sending me some new disks (supposed to be here thursday) and if those dont work, I have to get a new HD.

I really wish I could just return it and get another MBP or even something else in the apple line.. I know I got a lemmon because the HD failed less than 2 months into ownership! who knows what would go wrong next!?!

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The entire case could warp.... but let's not looks for more problems... :rolleyes:

9. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

you mean the screen bent up on the sides? yea it already is..

edit:

i now officially know it isnt just a scratched dvd causing this..

i ran apple hardware test, and guess what? an error within 27 seconds of testing? cmon! why didnt apple suggest this when i was on the phone.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No more like the entire computer chassis bent up on the sides.

11. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

Take it to an apple store genius. Calmly explain the situation to them...remind them you are a loyal apple customer and aren't impressed. Ask them to issue a replacement. Works like a charm.

12. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

i really dont do well on the phone, im either a pushover, or start to get really mad ;) my mom is really nice, but firm so she said she would call for me (she funded half of the computer so she is concerned as well) and she is going to ask for an exchange (we live about 3 hours from an apple store)

13. markgamber macrumors 6502

On the plus side, hard drives go bad relatively quickly because there are moving parts. The rest of the computer will most likely be fine for a long time. It does make me wonder, tho. I've had Windows laptops for many, many years and I've never once had an HD fail on me. But I scan this site and it seems like they're failing all the time. If and when the time comes to get mine replaced, I think I'd be more inclined to show up with a drive and say "Here, put this in there" than rely on Apple for the hardware. I'm not even sure I wouldn't risk doing it myself, those "geniuses" don't really fill me with confidence, either.

Anyway, if you can't get a laptop replacement and have to settle for another hard drive, I'd keep an eye on it, but I wouldn't go actively hunting for problems elsewhere. If something jumps out at you, get it fixed, but you can find all kinds of things if you look hard enough, whether they actually exist or not.

14. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

i think this is the best advice i have gotten, it would make sense on a lot of other devices i had.. (does the screen look "grainy"?, is that a dead pixel?) etc. ;)

15. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

well.. surprise surprise the disks didnt work!

i called applecare today saying a 5 week old computer shouldnt have any problems at all, this is throwing up way to many red flags for me, ive spent over $7,000 at apple over the years, yada yada..

they said they would return it and give me my money back if sales support said i could.. they did! the guy i talked to a couple days a go (chad) isnt here right now, so i have to wait til tomorrow or saturday for him to call me back and give the final go-ahead!

well, i dont know if im going to get another MBP, another apple computer, or something else entirely..

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Hard drives fail all the time. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the rest of your MBP, it just means the hard drive failed. Since the thing is only 2 months old, it's definitely under warranty so Apple will just swap the hard drive out and you'll be all set.

You definitely do NOT need to return the whole computer just because of a hard drive failure.

17. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Really ? Never had any of dozens of hard drives fail in 16 years.

18. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

might not need to, but i want to.

you can obviously see why though.. no matter what it is nothing should go wrong withing the first year+ of owning a computer, especially within 5 weeks!

if the hd fails within 5 weeks, who is to say the logic bard isnt going to a month after applecare expires?

19. kevo0822 macrumors regular

Your logic actually made me laugh out a loud a little bit. So because the hard drive, made by Hitachi or Toshiba, etc., failed... the logic board, made by Intel , Nvidia, and Apple (I assume), is also destined to fail? Yeah... not so much.

20. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

apple doesnt manufacture their own hardware. It's all sourced to OEM manufacturers like Quanta and Foxconn. Apple just designs it.

so yes, there can be problems with computers right off the factory floor. Its the nature of mass assembly.

i work at a service center and believe me, I see macbook hard drives going left and right. Some within the first year, some outside. Is it Apple's fault? Or Seagates?

21. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

ask for a 17' inch mbp:p for all the trouble that mbp caused lol

22. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

the thing is, we really dont know what is wrong with it for sure, could be the logic board, probably is the hard drive, etc.

no matter what it is i dont want the came computer back, because apple should pick better components to be inside their computers.

sorry to say, it is apples fault..

if apple is putting in components that fail within 5 weeks, it is their fault no matter what. i wouldnt say this, but look at all the problems in new MBP's..

23. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

LOL like they purposely put parts they knew were defective in the MBPs for kicks. just like the Nvidia GPUs. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but that deserves the "rolleyes"

at least apple is doing something about it. certain macbooks i mentioned above were bumped from 60 to 80GB hard drives (apple substituted a different HD model) , because they shipped with a faulty batch of HDs that failed early. Stuff like that you can't test for until its in the user's hands.

24. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

the thing is, apple isnt doing anything about it.
    i have been on the phone with then an average hour a day for the past week, and they just have been transferring me between people..

i thought we were getting somewhere yesterday, but they said they would call me back later last night, but they never did.

i then called back today, and they said they would transfer me to someone else. that was about 50 minutes ago, and im stil on hold.

edit: phone line just went dead..

25. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I agree. When my aunt got her 17" MBP in, it didn't have an OS installed. :confused: