Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
Here is the deal folks:

I have three computers, all with music that sometimes overlaps. I have put all the music onto my external hard drive and now I have a master music folder that is 25GB. iTunes on my master desktop computer only sees about 9GB. I reckon that I have about 13GB. That leaves about 12GB in duplicates. That really, to be frank, sucks. I don't know what to do, I certainly don't want to import them all into iTunes, but I do want one copy of every song, not four.

How should I delete the duplicates but not get rid of at least one verison of the song?

There must be an automated app/program/utility that can help me.

I don't just want to have one copy of every song in iTunes, I want to be able to get rid of the duplicates to save disk space.

I am willing to put in a couple or a few hours to dedicate to this task, I know it will be a hassle any way I do it.

Dave Felix

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2011
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Here is the deal folks:

I have three computers, all with music that sometimes overlaps. I have put all the music onto my external hard drive and now I have a master music folder that is 25GB. iTunes on my master desktop computer only sees about 9GB. I reckon that I have about 13GB. That leaves about 12GB in duplicates. That really, to be frank, sucks. I don't know what to do, I certainly don't want to import them all into iTunes, but I do want one copy of every song, not four.

How should I delete the duplicates but not get rid of at least one verison of the song?

There must be an automated app/program/utility that can help me.

I don't just want to have one copy of every song in iTunes, I want to be able to get rid of the duplicates to save disk space.

I am willing to put in a couple or a few hours to dedicate to this task, I know it will be a hassle any way I do it.

I kinda understand what you're looking for. If you want to delete duplicates in iTunes click File > Display Duplicates. Is that what you're looking for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.