Major predicament with 'missing' disk space on 120GB Hard-drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jack in Black, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Jack in Black macrumors newbie

I have Macbook with a 120GB hard-drive, OS 10.4 Tiger, 2GB RAM, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

I am really in dire need of help.

I have had this macbook since october and for a couple of months it was great. Then it started causing me grief.
    I have had to have the hard-drive replaced twice and lost all of my data about 5 times now.

My macbook is now telling me i am running low on diskspace and that i need to free up more space on the disk. This is exremely odd because i haven't had it back that long since the hard-drive was replaced by Apple (about a month).

I am aware that a 120GB hard-drive only has 111GB of useable space, however, out of that 111GB, it says that 107.09GB is 'used' and that i have less than 5GB available. :eek:

I have serached though all of my folders multiple times to look for duplicate files and emptied my trash more times than i can count, deleting anything i do not use.

My iTunes library now consists of 8GB of music and 6 GB of video, whereas it used to have 14GB of music and nearly 40GB of video. I have no documents and approximately 10 pictures. I have Microsoft Office installed however this never caused hard disk problems when it was running on the system previously so i doubt this is the root cause of the problem.

I am utterly bewildered as to where on earth all this space has gone and what is taking it up. :confused:

It is becoming a very large problem now as i am an A-level student and my work is unable to be saved to the hard-drive due to lack of space, resulting in a couple of debates with tutors about missing work :/

I hope i have provided enough information, but if not please tell me and i will try my best to inform you.

Does anyone have any ideas or know exactly what my problem is? I am desperate for all of my music and movies back on my Macbook :(

Thanks in advance

Jack

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I assume you've emptied the trash?

Next, open a Finder window in list view and sort by size (make sure folder size calculation is on). See if that provides you clues.

3. Jack in Black thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply

Yeah i've emptied the trash on numerous occasions.

I tried doing the list thing but that hasnt shown up with anything out of the ordinary, nothing larger than a few MB - 1GB.

:S

Anything else i can try? :confused:

Jack

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

5. Jack in Black thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Neil! I could kiss you... although that would be very gay

Worked a treat, turned out i had two profiles on the go with almost exactly the same things saved in each for some random reason.

Cheers man (y)
    :D

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

thanks is enough :D