Major problem after installing latest Apple Software Update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by koswo, Jan 18, 2008.

1. koswo macrumors member

Hi, I'm running Leopard and now I have a major problem after installing the latest software update (the one that contains iTunes 7.6 etc.).
    After the installation of the update I got a message saying my Mac needed to reboot. OK, the Mac reboots but instead of loading my desktop, I get the Configuration Assistant (as if it was the first time I turned on my Mac). So I tried filling in all information, but when I arrive at the final page of the Assistant and I click on Finish, I get the first page of the Assistant again... and so loops on and on. So impossible to load my desktop... Quitting the Assistant doesn't work.
    Anyone had similar problems? Anyone can help me out, pleaz?

Greetz,

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Reinstall the OS with an archive and install. If you hadn't progressed beyond the first screen a restart would have got it to run the update again, that has to be worth a try anyhow...

3. koswo thread starter macrumors member

I'm afraid I don't really understand what you mean, Eraserhead...

(But in case that wasn't clear in my message, I've been using my iMac for almost two years now and running Leopard on it since it hit the stores.)

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

With regards to "Archive and Install"

Put the Leopard disk in the machine.
    When it gets to the screen with an option to Customise the install press that button and choose "Archive and Install".

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Seems like permission problem in which ".AppleSetupDone" is not written properly. Try repairing permission first.

Boot up using your Leopard disk, go next. On top should be a menu: Utilities, open DISK UTILITY, click on your drive name on the left pane (such as Macintosh HD), and click "repair permissions". Reboot to your drive and try again.

6. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Did you choose "Upgrade" or "Archive and Install" when you originally installed Leopard?
    Your problem reminds me a little of the "looping login window" after choosing to upgrade to Leopard.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It happened to me, when my MacBook lost power (including the battery) during a software update. A reinstall solved the problem, of course a permissions repair might work, but if there is a half installed update that will make the computer very dodgy to use.