MAJOR problem discovered

nflight4life

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Got my brand new ipad home...all setup...apps right where I want and just when I thought...ok time to watch some hi-def content on this baby....POOOF....home wifi connection gone on the ipad...checked my iphone which is also on my home wife and he's good - still connected to the home wifi and able to get on w/o a problem. I figured no biggie, I'll just disable/re-enable my wifi connection. Done..all happy for approximately 3 or 4 minutes and again wifi connection goes see ya -- POOF and gone again....wifi signal on ipad says still connected however. WTF! Rebooted the device...internet staying connected so far....

I do remember a minor bug that caused some ipad problems awhile ago but I think apple addressed through an IOS update. Anyone else experiencing any weird anomalies like this with their new Ipad????

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Got my brand new ipad home...all setup...apps right where I want and just when I thought...ok time to watch some hi-def content on this baby....POOOF....home wifi connection gone on the ipad...checked my iphone which is also on my home wife and he's good - still connected to the home wifi and able to get on w/o a problem. I figured no biggie, I'll just disable/re-enable my wifi connection. Done..all happy for approximately 3 or 4 minutes and again wifi connection goes see ya -- POOF and gone again....wifi signal on ipad says still connected however. WTF! Rebooted the device...internet staying connected so far....

I do remember a minor bug that caused some ipad problems awhile ago but I think apple addressed through an IOS update. Anyone else experiencing any weird anomalies like this with their new Ipad????
Disable wifi, forget the home network then reset up the connection

MBAophile

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
Oakland, CA
Mine is rock solid so far insofar as WiFi is concerned. May only be a MAJOR problem with your unit. I will just finish by saying this is the most amazing computing device I have ever owned (my first iPad ever).

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Try resetting your router. I've got Uverse and am stuck with their router and at 10 Wifi connections (easy to do in a large gadget addicted family) I can't hold a connection with my iPad, MBPS or MBA. Resetting router renews DHCP leases and all is working again.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
No wifi problems here, and I restored from backup over the cloud a few GB, did some streaming (Netflix and YouTube), and downloaded some new apps.

FearlessFreep

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Northern Virginia, USA
The vast majority of these issues are with the router. Most of the firmware running routers is crap. Got tired of dropped/refused connections and resetting all the time. Bought an Airport Extreme and I've had zero probs ever since. Well worth the money.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
My wife's MBA did that for several days. The solution was to go into the settings of the router and reset the DHCP table. Then reset the router. Haven't had any issues since.

gquiring

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
SC
It might be a problem with the new Broadcom chipset and his wireless router/AP. I would check to see if you have any firmware updates for your router.

nflight4life

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
My wife's MBA did that for several days. The solution was to go into the settings of the router and reset the DHCP table. Then reset the router. Haven't had any issues since.
Thanks for the suggestion. The problem came back shortly after I thought a device reboot fixed it so I went ahead and reloaded my Belkin. WIFI's been solid for an hour or so.

nflight4life

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
It might be a problem with the new Broadcom chipset and his wireless router/AP. I would check to see if you have any firmware updates for your router.
Yeah that's one of the first things I did. I have an Iphone on the wifi as well but didn't notice any connection issues with it so kinda figured it might be something going on with the ipad <--> wifi connection not knowing which one was/is the culprit.

caughtinfire

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
Bellevue, WA
I've been having the same issue on mine at work on both our public hotspot connection and our internal enterprise connection. Over my lunch hour it disconnected at least half a dozen times. I'll be testing it at home to see if it's consistent everywhere but if it does it there, too, I will be quite annoyed. :mad:

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Other people have posted some lame threads. This op had a legit reason to complain about their wifi not working.
"Legit reason to complain"? Sure....but titling the thread "MAJOR problem discovered"....is the source of the backlash. Sort of the equivalent of ads for the local news saying things like "The water you drink could be killing you....story at 11".

nflight4life

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
I've been having the same issue on mine at work on both our public hotspot connection and our internal enterprise connection. Over my lunch hour it disconnected at least half a dozen times. I'll be testing it at home to see if it's consistent everywhere but if it does it there, too, I will be quite annoyed. :mad:
Thank you. According to some, I should be okay w/it. Don't think so.

Nega

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
I had this very same problem with the IPad1. Report it to Apple ASAP. It had nothing to do with my router, connection, etc. The problem was fixed in the next update. I would also suggest returning it for another one. You're probably in a small % of people who are probably affectred by this. Shouldn't be an issue to bring it back.