Major problem: Macbook Pro not loading, can't find fix

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Musicmasta, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Musicmasta macrumors member

Musicmasta

Story: I took my mac out of sleep and found that the trackpad was not functioning. After a little time, I decided just to reboot. I hit the power button and then hit restart, but it could not restart because for some reason, Skype was not closing. Finally, I just decided to force restart by holding power button. I turned computer back on, and it was stuck on the gray loading screen. I waited about 20 minutes and then turned it off.

I've reset PRAM, repaired permissions/disk (from Leopard disk). I finally got past the login screen and got on my desktop. When I clicked on the airport on menu bar, I noticed another problem; Airport Card not installed. I rebooted again, reset PRAM, and found I was back in the same situation again; stuck on loading. I checked system profiler and it recognized my airport card, so that is not dead. I decided to finally archive and reinstall OSX. Now I've been stuck on the "about 10 minute" mark for about an hour now. Thinking of just quitting install and trying to reboot again.

Honestly don't know what else to do.

2. Musicmasta thread starter macrumors member

Musicmasta

My archiving froze during install. I finally got OSX running again, having to make a new user account. EVERYTHING is gone. Or at least it seems to be. For some reason, my hardrive is still recognizing everything as being there. see screen shot... I have a feeling all my files are on my computer somewhere. any help?

Attached Files:

3. Musicmasta thread starter macrumors member

Musicmasta

Thanks for the article. I was unable to locate the previous system folder however.. Looks like I'm just going to have to erase and reinstall. I really hope my hard-drive isn't bugged. It says its 85% full right now and I can't locate files.

4. Musicmasta thread starter macrumors member

Musicmasta

I found it all!!!! Finally located the previous system folder! thank the lord!

5. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the update ... I should have made it clear (the article wasn't explicit either) that is at the very top level (Machintosh HD or similar, not in the user's home directory).