Major Problem - Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jersey10, Oct 16, 2007.

1. jersey10 macrumors regular

I just bought a refurbished iMac to replace my old eMac. After starting up the iMac, it asked me if I wanted to transfer data from an older mac. I said yes. It instructed me to connect a firewire cable and follow the steps it outlined. I did this, but it first gave me the message that it could not transfer anything because my old computer did not have Mac OSX. This is incorrect, it has OSX. But it wouldn't let me go any further so I cancelled the transfer and tried restarting the eMac. That caused the eMac to get a blinking folder in the middle of the screen that would not go away even after I pushed the power button to restart the computer.

After reading some other posts, I tried manually restarting the eMac while holding the option key down. When I did this, the blinking folder went away, but now I have two boxes on my Emac screen - the first box on the left contains a curved arrow, the second box contains a straight, forward arrow. But the computer won't let me do anything.

What can I do??????? Please let me know as there is a lot of important stuff on the eMac that I don't want to lose. I've never had the slightest problem with the eMac until I plugged that firewire cable in and tried to do this transfer.

Thanks so much.

2. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

you did right by rebooting the eMac while pressing the "option" key, but i don't know what the two folders mean. When rebooting while holding down "option" you should be given the choice of which volume to boot from. Maybe that is what the two folders mean? if you cant use the mouse to chose either folder, then try using the arrow keys. if not, try force-shutting-down again (press and hold the power button), reboot and see what happens. If you still arent able to completely boot into OSX, then force-shut-down and reboot again while holding down the "option" key. Once you reach the screen with the two folders, take a picture and then post it here so we can see.

3. jersey10 thread starter macrumors regular

I can click on either of the folders with my mouse. If I click on the curved mouse, a stopwatch appears and then disappears after about 30 seconds. If I click on the straight arrow, nothing happens.

Everytime I reboot, the arrows reappear.

4. jersey10 thread starter macrumors regular

Slight clarification - if I reboot without holding down the option key, the blinking folder reappears after restart and I am unable to do anything.

If I reboot while holding down the option key, the two arrows appear and I am unable to do anything.

I have never before had the slightest trouble with this computer.

5. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

There is something to do with the startup disk. I cannot be sure of what to do if I can't see it. It would be nice to get a picture of this, but even if i could see, I couldn't assure you that i would be able to help.....
    This is your best bet:
    You just got the mac, right?
    Well, then it should have warranty on it! :)
    Call apple care 1800-APL-CARE and follow the steps to get to a representative. They should be able to help you. If not, then keep asking over here, because someone is sure to answer your question. Right now is out of their business hours, so call tomorrow (before 6pm pacific time) ;)

6. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

7. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

Ok, so it did have something to do with your Startup Disk.
    I knew what screen you were on, you just didnt mention that you had two more icons in the middle of the screen. Yous hould click on the one with the picture of the Hard Drive.
    Then i assume that you have to click on the forward arrow, and you should be ok.
    Tell me what happens.

8. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

if none of this works, you can reboot the computer while holding down the "X" key. This should automatically chose OSX, and send you to the right place without you having to chose your startup disk.
    any progress?

9. jersey10 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried each of the posted suggestions, but nothing is working.

I either get a screen with just the two arrows (nothing else on the screen at all - there is no volume to click on).

Or I get the screen with the blinking folder with the question mark and the happy face.

10. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

The eMac isn't seeing the boot volume. You could try connecting the firewire cable and startup the eMac in Target disk mode (hold T at startup). I don't think you'll be able to automatically transfer your settings, but if it is able to mount the hard drive, you can at least get your files off.

11. jersey10 thread starter macrumors regular

I just tried that. I get the firewire symbol floating around my eMac screen and a message on the iMac saying "Disk Insertion. The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" with the choices to initialize, ignore, or eject.

12. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

Call AppleCare first thing tomorrow. The one thing you dont want right now is a hardware failure. In that case there is nothign to do about it. The least you play with it, the least chances you have of frying your hardware.