Major Problem - Please Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jbrown, Jun 3, 2009.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

MacbookPro 2.4 Leopard 10.5.7

I have a partition problem on my hard drive. I have a 160GB drive that I had partitioned in 90GB ( with system ) and 60GB ( with data ).

What I wanted to do was to delete the 60GB partition so I would have a 150GB single partition. I backed up all my files on the 60GB partition, and using Disk Utility I clicked on the main drive icon - then 'Partition', and then the ' - ' to remove the partition. That worked fine.

Still in Disk Utility, I enlarged the 90GB to fill the whole disk ( which it told me would be 150GB ) - all good and I then pressed 'Apply'.

But it fails in this. My 90GB partion is unchanged ( and working fine ), but effectively I have 'lost' 60gb of hard disk space.

Help please!!!!!:(:(:(

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Did you try the same thing by booting from the install discs? I would also do a repair from there too.

3. STXSTEVE macrumors member

STXSTEVE

First off make sure you have a backup of your OSX partition. I have heard of command line partition deletion but have never tried it... I was always under the impression if you want to get rid of and expand partitions the best way is to reinstall. I would back up you OSX partition with time Machine and do a new reinstall. Simpler and safer in my opinion..

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I agree, I would back up the OSX volume and boot up from the install discs and erase and reformat the whole thing. Im pretty sure it has to be a Mac OSX Extended (Journaled) Volume.