Major Problem To MBP, Please Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KaosAngel, Jun 12, 2010.

1. KaosAngel macrumors newbie

Gentlemen (and Ladies),

Recently, my MBP has been acting up. It will automatically boot into DOS, and I don't even have Bootcamp setup. I have to old down the Option key to make sure it boots into OSX.

When it does boot into OSX, after sometime, the search bar on Firefox stops working...and it acts like it's the first time I'm on the OSX. When I reset my MBP, it remembers all the information up until the "crash".

I can't open new aplications as it says it's not in the library. However, if I restart and launch it from the getgo, it works fine. Adium doesn't send my messages and asks for my password again, and then says it has to remove all of them to restart the keychain log. However, at launch it works fine.

Please help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What exact MacBookPro and what exact Mac OS X version do you have?

Can you use System Preferences > Startup Disk to set Mac OS X as startup disk?

And what do you mean by "it boots into DOS"? Do you see a black background with lots of white text on it?
    That could mean, the MacBook boots via Verbose Mode. Can you make a photo of it or post some text snippets here?

Even though some might get annoyed of reading this, the thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at http://mroogle.*************/MRoogleSmall.gif, since that question may have been asked several times?

from the forum rules:

Minor Problems

3. Thread titles.
    Use thread titles that indicate the subject of the thread, not generic titles such as "Need advice/help". Moderators may change thread titles that have no specifics, usually by adding something more specific in parentheses.
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Minor_Problems

3. KaosAngel thread starter macrumors newbie

It goes all black and says no "bootable disc found", it's in DOS mode. I got a Summer 2009 MBP 13" with 4 gigs of Ram and the baseline CPU at the time. It just started to happen recently.

4. davidlv macrumors 65816

According to Wiki, DOS means "short for "Disk Operating System", is a shorthand term for several closely related operating systems that dominated the IBM PC compatible market ..." and this term is not used in conjunction with the Macintosh platform, which is based on Unix and the NEXT operating system, thus the name OS X (10). the right terminology will help you get the response you need on the forum. As posted above, what you are seeing is a verbose mode boot. Something is definitely not right with your OS installation.
    You could try reinstalling from the DVD or even download the latest combo updater disk image file from Apple and running that (may be difficult to do if the computer won't boot normally). Try holding down the C key at boot with the dvd Install disk inserted and reinstall, your data should be OK if you are using Snow Leopard. If Your Install DVD is Leopard specify an Archive and Install or you could lose data.
    What OS is installed?

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Get the system to boot into OS X, and use time machine and an external hard drive to back up your data. Then, put in the OS X install disk, boot into that, and wipe the drive clean. Restore using Time machine. And see if that helps.

6. apple.gr macrumors regular

That's what you have to do!

7. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

It's not booting to DOS. There's no such thing on a Mac. It's booting to Single User Mode/verbose mode, which is essentially the underlying command line mode of the OS.

To fix this, make sure your startup disk is set correctly as has been mentioned, and reset your PRAM, Command Option P R all at the same time at power on. Reset it 3 times for good measure. it should not happen again.

If it does, it's a good sign that your OS is corrupt and you should consider an erase and install.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

Has it been less than a year since you bought the computer? If so, you may be covered by AppleCare. Call them and tell them your hard drive is acting up - which is a hardware problem and covered by AppleCare. They will take you through a bunch of steps to diagnose your problem.

If it is hardware related, then they will arrange to get it fixed under warranty. Do a back up, you will likely be without your computer for a period of time, and then it may come back without your "stuff".

If it is software related, then AppleCare won't cover that.... but you should have some more information from working with them to tell this forum. If it is software, the advice to reinstall OS X is probably the best option.

Good Luck.