Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEugene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
AZ
Hi, sorry for making two threads in less than an hour or so, but something went really wrong.

Okay so I got boot camp up and tried installing windows, it restarted and went into a blue screen and did some loading and said it was going to install windows when i clicked enter, I did and then it said there was a type of error and went black.

After that I cold booted and reloaded, it went BACK to trying to install windows, so I ejected the CD and cold booted. Now every single time I boot it, it comes up with a black screen with a blinking cursor. Even putting in the Tiger disc does nothing.

Did I permadently screw up something? I really really hope not, I have no clue how to fix this.

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
First of all, did you try installing Windows on Tiger's partition?

Also, just putting in the Tiger CD won't work. Hold C on startup. You may have broken your OSX install.

iEugene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
AZ
Steve1496 said:
First of all, did you try installing Windows on Tiger's partition?

Also, just putting in the Tiger CD won't work. Hold C on startup. You may have broken your OSX install.
All I know is that I partioned my hardrive to 5 gigs for windows and the rest for Mac.

So, I put the Tiger CD in AND hold C?

EDIT - Okay it is re-installing Tiger all together, however I am almost certain that it's going to delete all my files...I hope not but I feel it's going to, it said something about the Tiger installed was a higher version (.7) and the only way it could go on was with a brand new install.

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
iEugene said:
All I know is that I partioned my hardrive to 5 gigs for windows and the rest for Mac.

So, I put the Tiger CD in AND hold C?

Yes. You need to hold the C button.

When installing Windows, you need to install windows on your 5GB partition labeled FAT32 in Windows setup. If you attempt installing it on your Tiger OSX Extended Partition you'll get errors and/or break OSX.

EDIT - Okay it is re-installing Tiger all together, however I am almost certain that it's going to delete all my files...I hope not but I feel it's going to, it said something about the Tiger installed was a higher version (.7) and the only way it could go on was with a brand new install.

Yes all your files will be gone forever, though I'm not completely sure why you did this already. Your OSX install may not be, but is likely, broken.

iEugene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
AZ
Steve1496 said:
Yes. You need to hold the C button.

When installing Windows, you need to install windows on your 5GB partition labeled FAT32 in Windows setup. If you attempt installing it on your Tiger OSX Extended Partition you'll get errors and/or break OSX.

Yes all your files will be gone forever, though I'm not completely sure why you did this already. Your OSX install may not be, but is likely, broken.
So wait, OSX may be permadently broken? But it looks like it's installing it completley over again (from the discs).

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
iEugene said:
So wait, OSX may be permadently broken? But it looks like it's installing it completley over again (from the discs).

I meant your old OSX was probably broken. If you reinstalled, you should be fine OSX wise. If you want to abort the boot camp thing (you will need to redownload boot camp), open Boot Camp Assistant (Applications>Utilities>Boot Camp Assistant), and click remove Windows.

If you want to go ahead, again, restart your computer with the Windows disc in, hold option, select the Windows CD, go into setup, and select the 5GB partition. It is important that it is the 5GB, Fat32 partition. You can then do a quick format of that partition in FAT32, and proceed with Windows installation.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
select the C drive

When you do try to reinstall windows... at one point in the blue screen it asks where do you want to install it... be very careful and select the c drive. Sounds like you didn't the first time and it overwrote OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.