Major problem with 10.4.11 update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sionharris, Nov 18, 2007.

1. sionharris macrumors regular

My girlfriend's machine has been rendered completely unusable by this update. She downloaded it fine and installed it, then a dialogue box appeared informing that the update had been deleted and that it should be installed again. (Safari was open during the installation.) She thinks she tried to click 'OK' and after that her computer froze and she forced it to shut down. Since then when we try to start it up it hangs on the spinning icon.

I'm thinking the best solution would be to startup in FireWire Target Disk mode, copy all of her files and settings across and reinstall OS X.

Thoughts?

2. kflook macrumors member

Do you have another machine with the same processor that you can FireWire Target Disk mode it to ( PowerPC - PowerPC, Intel - Intel)? If you can do that, you can try downloading the correct update on the working machine from the Apple website, and re-install it to the FireWired machine from there.

I did that with 10.4.9 on three computers at work with a similar problem, they would hang at the "Starting Mac OS X..." screen, and then they started up as they should.

3. sionharris thread starter macrumors regular

We have made a backup of her profile and will be attempting to reinstall OS X and then running the 10.4.11 combo update.