Major Problem With Itunes!!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nismo86, Dec 14, 2007.

1. nismo86 macrumors member

I follow all the steps to this guide :

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173

However when I synced my ipod with my mac it was complete right away however there was no music or nothing like the guide says. I looked at my ipod and the music is all gone off of it, when I drag the music into the itunes, theres not play count or anything!

Also the ipod says under the summery Version "Only Mac-formatted ipods can be updated" What the hell is going on here?

I've been doing this for 2 hours, and now I have no music on my ipod, with no play counts.. I'm getting real sick of this and i'm going to be pissed if my play counts are gone forever.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

this is easy. your ipod has to be formatted to HFS+ to work with itunes. to do this open disk utility, select your ipod and click erase. this will completely erase your ipod but if all your music, playlists and song counts are in your itunes library then erasing your ipod will do nothing to your itunes library. once the ipod is formatted to HFS+ just sync your ipod and your done.

3. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

I don't know how to do disk utility, I just got my mac.

And when I dragged my music into itunes, it didn't show any playlist, play counts, NOTHING, no art-work, playlists, everything I've put time into gone...

I'm so pissed off, I've been up late doing this and now I have a non-working ipod, no music on my ipod and everythings messed up..

Someone PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

chill haha! :) your just stressed out because your new to Mac OS X and you havent got used to it yet.

MOST IMPORTANT: do you still have your itunes library on the pc with your song counts, playlists, album art etc? if you do your music library will be fine in itunes for your mac.

ignore my previous advice as i didnt understand you post or read the apple article thoroughly.

first off we need to know what format you ipod is. select the ipod in the finder sidebar and press "command-I". tell us what is says under "Format:"

second have you dragged the whole itunes folder from the pc to your ipod or just the artist folders? theres another folder within the itunes folder by the same name which holds all the playlists, song counts, some album art (aac songs hold album art themselves) and other preferences. you need that folder to display these in itunes on your mac.

5. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

I went to the finder and didn't see the ipod there.. The PC no longer has any music in the library. I dragged the whole folder, when I open it and look at it on the mac I have :

itune library.itl
    itunes music
    itunemusic library.xml
    previous itunes libraries
    album arwork

6. nismo86 thread starter macrumors member

I just re-formated my ipod to factory settings and now its set up for the mac.. Can someone please help me out about my other question?

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try importing that itunes folder into itunes by choosing File->Import...

all the playlists, song counts etc are either in "itunes library.itl" or "itunes music library.xml", obviously all your music is "itunes music" and album artwork in "album artwork" folder. not sure about previous itunes libraries they maybe older libraries that you had a while ago with different playlists etc. if you happy with your current library ignore that one but keep it for good measure.