Major problem with updating 9600m gt driver, HELP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by zerixar, Jan 6, 2011.

1. zerixar macrumors member

First off, thanks for taking a look at this. Ok so i have a late 2008 unibody macbook pro 15" (got it right after it came out). 2.8 GHz, 4GB, using the 9600m gt. I ran bootcamp on it and installed windows vista 64 bit. haven't used the windows side for anything other than random gaming, do all my web browsing and all that on the OSX side.

So here's the problem: I need to update my Drivers for the 9600m gt graphics card. I haven't updated the driver since i got it, so it is waaayyy behind. So i went to Nvidea's site, found the newest mobile driver (version 260.99 for the 9600m gt among many many other cards), downloaded, and installed with the "clean install" option. after installing and restarting at the prompt, my resolution has been reset to 600x800 (down from 1440x900). I type in my password at the login screen, and.... BLACK SCREEN. Nothing but blankness, desktop doesn't load, nothing, just blackness. clicking, keypresses, etc, does nothing. it's not asleep and the display's not off, it's just a black screen. i've found that if i do a ctrl+alt+delete it will suddenly bring back the UI (at 600x800), it then has lingering drag-window effects if i move windows around, and i get an immediate error stating that "windows manager has stopped functioning". I can go into control panels and all that, change my res back to 1440x900, etc, but now when i try to run any application, be it something like xfire, or a full screen game, they error out almost immediately, not responding, and closing unexpectedly. so basically the machine is unuseable.

What i've tried so far: my first instinct was to roll back. I did so, rolling back to the previous driver, and everything ran fine once again. Since then i've tried re-downloading and reinstalling the 260.99 driver a few times in different ways (like leaving out the things that aren't just the basic driver, i.e. physx, 3d display crap) and every time, it results in the same black screen followed by constant application crashes.

HELP, what's going on? Any help would be much appreciated. I really need to upgrade my drivers, It's gotten to the point where even though I'm well above spec for games and whatnot I get terrible framerates and get notifications stating that I should update my driver. Help.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. zerixar thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i've looked at that as well as done extensive searching about that while trying to fix this issue, and it appears that that whole thing of editing the .inf file to add your particular dev to the list of hardware is for something else. apparently many bootcamp users when trying to run driver installation get return messages stating that "no compatable hardware was found" and it just closes out. That is not waht i'm getting. The 260.99 driver is a notebook driver and my dev is located within the inf file it has already. from what i understand people end up having to do what you linked above if they're trying to install a non-notebook/mobile driver on a notebook or mobile graphics card.

for me the driver installation process runs just fine, it's jsut that after it's completed everything is messed up (see symptoms above).

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Understood.

Both my earlier post and this one really are only intended keep the thread active so one of the folks who does use the nvidia drivers can have a chance to provide some real input.

B

5. zerixar thread starter macrumors member

ah, well thanks for helping me keep the thread bumped then :)

6. zerixar thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Help, anybody?

7. zerixar, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

zerixar thread starter macrumors member