Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I have successfully installed my Windows XP SP2 onto a bootcamp parition before (This time I am trying a fresh install onto another disc, another partion -- this is my sole bootcamp disc now)

...I have a 2-disc RAID array that was causing me problems with installing this time.

I removed both of the RAID discs and then proceeded to install onto a paritioned 250GB drive, one with OS X 10.5.2 and the other partition for bootcamp. I left as Fat32, maybe I should have formatted NTFS.

The problem I am having, is whenever I try to boot to the installed bootcamp it says "Disk Error. Press any key to restart" There is no CD, and nothing in an external drive.

I try to press any key and nothing works. I have to manually turn the Mac Pro off and turn it back on, then start back up to OS X. Maybe my problem is the disk formatting. Should I use NTFS? Much help appreciated. Thanks

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I had all sorts of problems getting windows to boot. I finally gave up. For the longest time it was about HAL.DLL being corrupt. Turns out its actually means it is having issues with the boot.ini file. This was caused by multiple drives. I gave up on that.

I tried again a couple weeks ago, now i get the same error as you. So i gave up after one try. Its not a must have for me. It was just a would be nice thing. :rolleyes:

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Update:

I am running Windows XP SP2 now, as I post this. I finally got it to work, I had to format the <BOOTCAMP> partition as NTFS, I just did NTFS "quick" and it did the trick. I think Fat32 will not work with XP. But I am having alot of trouble with my internal CD/DVD drive at the moment...everytime I try to restart, the drive starts clicking, and it won't stop...kind of a read..access...read...halt...even if there is no disc in there. The only workaround to get my machine to reboot is to hold the power button OFF for 10 seconds and then press it again to start up. This is driving me nuts.

But, XP is installed now and working beautifully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.