Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tinknology

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
im sorry this is a long post..but it will mean alot to me if you read and answer! :)

alright, so i bought this 8gb ipod touch last september (2007)

everything was going good until about the beginning of this year...

whenever i would connect it to itunes....it would give me multiple error messages such as 0xE80000035 message or the 0xE8000001 message...the -19 message...sometimes it would say "invalid response from iPHONE"..but..i have an ipod touch..it also would violenty switch between connected and not connected..even though all along it was fully connected.[sometimes i got these messages, sometimes it was totally fine]

so for awhile i just dealt with this
but as of late i have noticed some other problems

when i had the 1.1.3 firmware...the youtube client was acting up. whenever i would touch "youtube" on the home screen, it would go to a white screen with the time bar at the top..then it would crash back to the home screen. i didnt care much about this; i rarely watched youtube on my ipod.

when 2.0 came out, i wanted it. so i had to go through the same restoring process as i said above...
finally i got 2.0..and i thought i was home free...but i wasnt..

now the mail application does the exact same thing youtube did when i had 1.1.3

i tried restoring, but i got all of those error messages (above). now im fed up with my ipod... and want to go to the apple store

but.. there are 2 things that are holding me back

1) my ipod usually works fine when connected to computers at my friends houses..( sorta like how your car isnt sick when you take it to the dealer)..im afraid my ipod wont get any error messages when i hook it up to one of the computers at apple. (as we speak it is violently switching between connected and not connected...urgh!

and 2) it has a major spider web crack in it that i got in late may (these problems started way before that crack happened)

what do you think i should do? thank you so much for reading this and please give me some feedback

[[extra, misc info]]
all the other ipods in my house work fine with the computers (1 mac mini, 1 imac, 1 pc)

it is not the usb cables, the other ipods work fine with the cable i use.

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
Have you tried restoring it? There should be an option in iTuens to erase the whole thing and reinstall the firmware and resync your music n such. My mom had problems whith hers, and doing this fixed the problems.

tinknology

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Have you tried restoring it? There should be an option in iTuens to erase the whole thing and reinstall the firmware and resync your music n such. My mom had problems whith hers, and doing this fixed the problems.

well, whenever i want to restore it, i have to go through that bombardment of error messages until i get that one time i dont get the messages and am able to restore. i have restored this ipod many times but i still get these same dang problems post-restore.

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
what if it doesnt act up? then they wouldnt believe me and just send me home...blahh:confused:

Does it happen randomly or always? If it happens alwasy or practically always...I'd say you have a good chance of it. And if it doesn't act up, they will probably still look at it.

Silver-Fox

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
England
Take it to the apple store explain what happens, try get a screen shot or something or photo, and im sure they will help. Not much else you can do

tinknology

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Take it to the apple store explain what happens, try get a screen shot or something or photo, and im sure they will help. Not much else you can do

screen shot..what do you mean? like take a picture of what it does? not a bad idea actually...

tinknology

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Does it happen randomly or always? If it happens alwasy or practically always...I'd say you have a good chance of it. And if it doesn't act up, they will probably still look at it.

alright. lets say..they grant me an exchange because of my connection and mail application issues. what would they do about this massive spider-weblike crack..

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
alright. lets say..they grant me an exchange because of my connection and mail application issues. what would they do about this massive spider-weblike crack..
This is the first mention you've made of a crack ... let me guess, these problems started after you dropped it?

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
They won't swap it out if the screen is cracked. They'll probably make you pay the equivalent to the repair fee and then they'd give you another.

tinknology

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
This is the first mention you've made of a crack ... let me guess, these problems started after you dropped it?

no, i mentioned it as one of the reasons im not going to the apple store..

these problems started early this year, this crack happened in late may.

tinknology

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
They won't swap it out if the screen is cracked. They'll probably make you pay the equivalent to the repair fee and then they'd give you another.

agh..even though these problems started early this year and the crack happened in may?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
so i would have to pay the fee to get the screen replaced and they would give me a new ipod?

probably. I'm not really an authority on the subject. Why not just take it to an Apple store, get the damage assessed and pay where payment is due. Look! you didn't even have to go to a forum to find out we can't help you :cool:

tinknology

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
probably. I'm not really an authority on the subject. Why not just take it to an Apple store, get the damage assessed and pay where payment is due. Look! you didn't even have to go to a forum to find out we can't help you :cool:

how much will replacing the screen cost? estimate..ballpark?

tinknology

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
why are you so against going to the Apple store?

Ballpark: One arm and one leg :rolleyes:

i really dont mind the crack...could they fix the actual ipod and give the same one back to me? hardware issues should be covered under 1 year warranty..no?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.