Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juliancs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Hi folks

So I downloaded the windows 7 beta, I grabbed the 64 bit version. The install went fine, and then I put in my leopard disk to run the drivers setup. I got two errors, one about 'keyagent' and the other about something called 'MacHAL' or something. It said something about not being able to install them and to check if I have sufficient permission to do so, and I was given the option to retry, ignore or cancel. After retrying both, I ignored so the install carried on. After the restart, I had sound, built in only - it did not detect my firewire sound device, even after installing the drivers. My display device still says "standarad pnp vga adaptor", not my x1600. I cannot start any games as it say I have to install direct x, which I have done. No drivers I find on the internet for my x1600 work, the installation always stops - I assume this is a compatibility thing, but running them in xp/sp2 or vista mode does not change anything.

I understand this is a beta, but what a mess! I only have XP 32 bit, and for whatever reason my games freeze in that after an hour or so of playing (not a heat issue..), so I'd like to give windows 7 a shot. ANY ideas?

many thanks in advance!

juliancs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
I see. So how do I get Windows 7 working? I wanted to try some games on it but with a "16MB vga" card, I'm not going to have much luck. Where do I start with drivers?

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
You could try and find a 9600M GT driver from Nvidia's site or from another OEM. They might have a 7 beta driver, but a Vista 64bit driver should work.

Oh and make sure its a 9600M driver, not one for a 9600 GT desktop card.

Edit: Sorry for some reason I thought you had a new Macbook Pro. In that case go to ATI's site and find a driver.

juliancs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Thanks for the reply nick.

As I said all the drivers I've downloaded have not worked, whether they be vista or xp drivers. I can't find any beta drivers for the x1600.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.