Major problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GGGUUUYYY, May 8, 2009.

1. GGGUUUYYY macrumors regular

I'm running a PowerMac 1.25 with 2 GB of ram (Leopard 10.5.6). My finder has been crashing all the time. I can't print a PDF document from preview without it crashing. Safari gets the beach ball and then crash when for example clicking on a link to open a quicktime video. It crashes the first time then on the second it will work. MSN will not let me sign-in with out crashing. I've tried to repair the disk permissions and it hasn't done anything.

I downloaded drivers for Canon iP3500 printer and this has all seemed start after that but i'm not certian.

Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Open up Console and see what kind of messages are being added. It may provide some clues. If need be, post the messages here and we might be able to help.

3. GGGUUUYYY thread starter macrumors regular

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Looks like you brought this up about a week ago at this thread. That was the only result when searching for the errors from Finder. Since it mentions a crash report we can check the crash report logs to see if we can find some more info. The crash reports are located at ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter. The one for Finder starts with "Finder." It'll likely be a long file, but just make sure you use the code block like before so it shows up nicely. There's likely a Preview crash report too, but for the moment lets just focus on Finder.

5. GGGUUUYYY thread starter macrumors regular

The crash report is over the 200000 character limit is there anything a can cut from it only need to get rid of 160 characters.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Haha, yea that sounds typical. OK, looking at one of my own Finder crash reports lets focus on the following sections.
    • There's a set of lines near the top that talk about exceptions, include those.
    • After that, there's sections that start with Thread 0: blah and some of them say "crash" as well. Include the sections that include crash in the thread name. Leave the others.
    • The last part (at least on the crash report I'm looking at) is a section named Binary Images: which is a bit long. See if you can post that section as well.
    Hopefully that cuts it down enough for a post.

7. GGGUUUYYY thread starter macrumors regular

8. GGGUUUYYY thread starter macrumors regular

9. GGGUUUYYY thread starter macrumors regular

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

We're going to do some guess work based on other threads I'm reading with similar issues.
    Try reinstalling Quicktime from Apple. Also, if you have any 3rd party plugins or such for Quicktime, uninstall those for the moment.
    If you happen to have StuffIt, try turning it off.

I'll look at this more later if that doesn't help.

11. GGGUUUYYY thread starter macrumors regular

I will report back if i get anymore problems.

Thanks for your help!

12. GGGUUUYYY thread starter macrumors regular

13. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

OK, have an odd possible solution from here. In Safari, go to Security and uncheck the option for checking for fraudulent sites. See if that helps.

Also, are you using Safari 4b or 3.2.1? If 4b, try reverting back to 3, but be sure to use the uninstaller that should have come with 4b.

14. GGGUUUYYY thread starter macrumors regular