Major screen issue!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dalton63841, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Okay I have a late-2009 Macbook Pro 13". About 6 months ago it got dented pretty good on the lid and the glass got busted. Anyways I didn't have Applecare and couldn't afford to have Apple fix it, so I replaced the glass myself.

Everything was fine, but I noticed afterward that just VERY rarely, the screen would fade to white. I could kinda apply a light twisting force, not enough to actually do anything, and it would go back to normal. Well NOW it is doing it ALL the time. If I do the twisting trick it goes back to normal, but fades out again the moment I stop.

I know it is a hardware issue, and was thinking of ordering something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280639297601&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Is it possible the dent is actually causing this to happen? Your thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'm sure it's both the dent plus the fact that you've been twisting your screen over and over for the past 6 months. It's probably done more harm than good to be honest.

Can't be of more help than that I'm afraid. Best of luck with your repairs.

3. Dalton63841 thread starter macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

LMAO! Thats pretty much what I was thinking. At first I thought about taking it apart and trying to flatten out the dent and make sure the lid isn't like warped, and if so straighten it back out.

However my first experience when taking the lid apart to replace the glass was nerve-racking, not beyond my abilities, but nerve-racking none-the-less...

4. roxnadz macrumors regular

It's not like Apple would've covered that anyway. One look at that dent and they would've punted it right back to you.

5. Dalton63841 thread starter macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Yea I know it...That dent is the result of a coordination-challenged girlfriend, and some bad placement of the MBP on my part. Im just hoping I can fix it by either taking the lid apart and smoothing everything back out, or worst case scenario by replacing the entire lid.

6. Dalton63841 thread starter macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Well it appears this thread is nearing it's end. Just 2 questions:

1. Would it correct the issue if I took the lid totally apart and got it flattened back out?

2. Would it be better to just replace the entire lid/LCD assembly?

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

1. Won't know unless you try and at this point, I don't think it would hurt.

2. Yes, in the long run, it'd be much better to replace it entirely.

8. Dalton63841, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

Dalton63841 thread starter macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Thanks. Thats what I figured. Im just a little scared of disassembling the lid, because the outer glass is easy to break.

At this point I have stopped using my MBP entirely. I thought to wait till I can afford to buy a replacement lid, but at this point, I guess even if the glass does break Im no worse off since I will eventually replace the lid anyway... Tomorrow I will be picking up a T6 Torx screwdriver and suction cup. I'll post back with the results of my venture.

btw...there were other comments in this thread...now it looks like I responded to myself LOL

EDIT: After disassembling the lid and checking everything out and performing various tests...It appears that there's a weak connection with the connector on the bottom of the LCD panel. After flattening out the lid it made no difference. After refitting that connector it is now only doing it rarely. Looks like a new Lid/LCD assembly is in my future.