Major/Serious problem, need immediate help please

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by crazynuttie, Jul 10, 2010.

1. crazynuttie macrumors newbie

My iPhone 3GS was unlocked and I had a SIM in but my daughter dropped it and I had to restore it using iTunes and it updated to the latest version and now its no longer unlocked.

Long story short, my phone now has the connect to itunes sign on it (because my SIM no longer works with it because its locked) and when I do connect to itunes, iTunes says "the sim card is not supported"...

Anyways I took it to recovery mode and tried to restore but it says "iPhone could not be restored. the device isnt eligible for the requested build"...

Basically I cant use my SIM or activate my phone (even get to a home screen) because my phone is locked, I cant connect it to iTunes to recover and I cant unlock it to get my phone active again.

Please help, I've tried everything, I need my phone for work and personal use!

Thanks a lot

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You never update or restore a JB and unlocked iphone thru itunes.
    It will always lock up again.
    Why did you restore it after dropping it? Restore doesnt fix hardware problems. If something inside broke there is no software solution.
    I hope you had SHSH's saved thru cydia for previous builts.
    If not there's nothing you can do now but wait for a new JB to be released for 4.0

3. crazynuttie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply.

But is there no way to even access the main menu of the iPhone instead of being stuck on a screen that has "connect to iTunes" sign in the background and says "please insert SIM to activate" and has the emergency call option.

If I can just get back to the springboard I can at least get somwhere from there. I am on 3.1.3 so I can still unlock it can I not?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you restored it today or any day after June 21st you are not on 3.1.3 you are now on 4.0
    You can get to the home screen by activating it with an official at&t simcard while the phone is plugged into itunes.
    And trust me, even if you get to the springboard you wont get further than just using it as an ipod touch. Your unofficial simcard still wont work.

5. alectheking macrumors 6502a

If you restored your now on 4.0 and I believe that baseband has been exploited but not released yet, you can't downgrade the baseband even if you downgrade to 3.x..

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're a little confused.
    The bootrom only gets updated at the factory during manufacturing process.
    Not thru itunes updates.
    The baseband is maybe what you had in mind. The 3G and 3GS basebands both have been unlocked but in order to get there to install the unlock thru cydia you first need to be JB.
    You can only downgrade 3GS models if you have SHSH's saved for previous builts. Then he could JB and unlock it again.

7. crazynuttie thread starter macrumors newbie

It was done before June 21st and I am sure it was not 4.0.

If I do not have an official AT&T SIM as I have moved over seas, its impossible for me to activate my iPhone. (I can then try to jailbreak/unlock 3.1.3)

8. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Also what model 3GS is it? The older one or the "newer" MC model? Cause that can complicate things even more

9. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Haha:) i knew that but its 2 in the morning here, sorry yeah I had a brain fart but I'll fix it

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it was done before then and its now restored to 3.1.3 you can only activate it with an AT&T simcard.
    Even if you have a spare inactive AT&T sim and stick it in it will activate it and let you load into the homescreen.
    Then you can run spirit to JB and install ultrasnow thru cydia to unlock.
    Or you can wait a few weeks or more for the new 4.0 JB to be released and then you can update to official 4.0 and then JB and unlock.
    But if its another userland JB you might need to be activated officially to use it but Im not 100% sure since its not even out yet.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not possible to downgrade any 3GS model to previous builts without SHSH's saved either locally or on cydias server.
    MC, bootloader or any of that doesnt make a difference in downgrading firmare on 3GS and iphone4 models.

12. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Yeah I know, his was backed up, I'm just saying if they didn't have theirs backed up it will be a big pain in the ass.. I tried to delete my comment just to avoid confusion but you were to quick ;)

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sorry about that :)