Major slow down after closing VirtualBox

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Husky1992, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Husky1992 macrumors regular

Husky1992

Hi
    i have a 13 inch mid 2012 MBP (2,5GHz i5 4GB 1600MHz) running 10.9 and since i quitted virtual box for the last time I'm experiencing MAJOR slowness on the system. It took me 4-5 reboots (after forcing VB to quit) to have the mac back up again (it remained 10-20 minutes on the apple logo, or on the desktop without displaying the icons, or without the toolbar popping out having to reboot the sytem 4-5 times).
    Now I'm able to use it but TOO OFTEN freezes doing simple tasks (i.e. running itunes, opening safari, itunes freezes:confused: )
    I know my system speed and this sudden change of performance is suspicious. I did repair permission and repair disk on safe mode (it found something and it was repaired) but it is still amazingly instable (slow).
    I have something like 170 process running and the cpu load (right now while I'm writing) is at 95% idle.
    What can i do, check? :eek:

p.s. I still have 120GB available

2. Husky1992 thread starter macrumors regular

Husky1992

pp.ss.
    just know I was on the macrumors forum(with chrome) with itunes playing a song in background, i clicked on the toolbar to open safari, the system freezed, after 5 minutes of waiting (without touching anything) I restarted. This is definitely NOT normal:mad:

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What does Activity Monitor show, any processes taking up an inordinate amount of CPU cycles?

Has Oracle released an updated version of VB for Mavericks? Both Parallels and VMware released upgrades to make their products compatible with the new OS, I suspect VB needs the same treatment as well.

4. Husky1992 thread starter macrumors regular

Husky1992

I don't think, all the process are under 5-6% of cpu (windowserver peeks at 7-8% sometimes)however after multiple reboots, I expect that all (VB process that are making trouble) are killed by the system.
    I think I found the "trigger" of the freezing system, it's safari:confused: if I click on it it freezes the entire system:mad:

p.s. safari is my secondary internet browser, I usually use chrome

5. Husky1992 thread starter macrumors regular

Husky1992

I found out that if I launch safari from the guest user it does not have problems...what can I do?