Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Terenc3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Hi. Just for the last three to five charges of my battery, I realised that the entire system will hit a major slowdown (super super laggy) for a minute and then turn itself off. These happens between battery charges of 5% to 7%.

Whenever I plug in the cable and bootup, system shows 5% to 7% battery charge left. By right, the major slowdown and turning off only happens when it is near 1% or at 0% from what I knew, previously. :confused:

I am not entirely sure, but I was suspect 10.7.4 to be the cause (I might be wrong), or maybe it is my battery (500 cycles @ 90%). Battery condition registers at 'Normal'.

Anybody faces the same issue? I might do a reinstall on system or change my battery to try rectify this problem.. :(

Thanks in Advance. :D

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Why would you use your laptop and not charge it until the last couple percentage?
Having many cycles on battery and running on battery makes CPU underclock its self to save battery health.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I make a habit of recharging at around 15%. Therefore I have no experience with a discharge state that low. Research reveals that running your computer when it's that low, is actually hard on the battery & not advised.

Apple has some excellent battery info for each of their products at:
apple.com/support.

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
Hi. Just for the last three to five charges of my battery, I realised that the entire system will hit a major slowdown (super super laggy) for a minute and then turn itself off. These happens between battery charges of 5% to 7%.

Whenever I plug in the cable and bootup, system shows 5% to 7% battery charge left. By right, the major slowdown and turning off only happens when it is near 1% or at 0% from what I knew, previously. :confused:

I am not entirely sure, but I was suspect 10.7.4 to be the cause (I might be wrong), or maybe it is my battery (500 cycles @ 90%). Battery condition registers at 'Normal'.

Anybody faces the same issue? I might do a reinstall on system or change my battery to try rectify this problem.. :(

Thanks in Advance. :D

Sounds like its writing the hibernation file to disk in anticipation of losing power.

Terenc3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Thanks guys for the replies. :D

But yea, writing files in preparation for hibernation sounds logical but it normally happens in 1/2% state previously. However, it actually happened at 5% - 7% now that makes me wonder why.. :confused:

About using the mac till battery hits <10%, I really dun have a choice as I'm normally out for 7 hours or so. I guess its time for me to get another power brick or maybe a new mac :cool:..

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Thanks guys for the replies. :D

But yea, writing files in preparation for hibernation sounds logical but it normally happens in 1/2% state previously. However, it actually happened at 5% - 7% now that makes me wonder why.. :confused:

About using the mac till battery hits <10%, I really dun have a choice as I'm normally out for 7 hours or so. I guess its time for me to get another power brick or maybe a new mac :cool:..

I run it down to about 5% usually especially under Windows and I never seen that before.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
Why would you use your laptop and not charge it until the last couple percentage?
Having many cycles on battery and running on battery makes CPU underclock its self to save battery health.

do you have a source for this statement? I don't believe it...

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Windows behaves differently than OSX in that respect.

I said especially, not only. I've ran it down under OSX before and it doesn't have that either.

Infact, the CPU slowdown is a firmware thing, not the OS, so regardless if you're under OSX or Windows or Linux, it shouldn't matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.