Major Superdrive Issues - UB MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pogsklinc, Jul 15, 2009.

1. pogsklinc macrumors newbie

So, I was using my UB MacBook earlier today. I had a CD in the superdrive. I was shutting down the computer, and all of a sudden, as the screen was going black, the disk in my computer came out half way and the superdrive made a noise. I quickly restarted my computer to see what went wrong. I tried putting the CD back in, it didn't work. You all know how the slot loading superdrives suck in CDs. I now slide the CD in, and it won't get sucked in. In fact, the whole CD won't even go in. A little bit of it still sticks out. So now I'm stuck with a dead superdrive wondering what to do to fix it. Please don't tell me to go to an Apple store though, because the nearest one is well over 3 hours away, and I don't have a drivers license or anybody who would be willing to drive me. :/ Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

2. lorductape macrumors 6502

lorductape

try doing force eject and see what happens. you boot up holding the eject key.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Seeing how you said it's partially out, can you pull it out with a set of needle nosed pliers?

If not, hold down the trackpad button (the bottom of the trackpad till it clicks on the UMB) while rebooting, that'll activate the eject mechanism upon boot.

4. pogsklinc thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoops. I guess I didn't voice my problem very well. The disk that was ejected was able to be pulled out. The superdrive is empty, and whenever I try to put in a disk, the drive doesn't "suck" it in like it used to and is suppossed to.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Try the force eject when you reboot.

See if that kicks the drive back into the state it should be in. Since the disc got pulled out, it probably still thinks something is there/it got stuck mid-eject perhaps.

6. pogsklinc thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried that, but alas. Still not accepting CDs. :/

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Call AppleCare! They will help you troubleshoot it, if it can't be resolved over the phone they will send you a shipping box (pre-paid I believe) and you can ship it back to them for repair.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

When you turn on the computer, do you hear the SuperDrive "tracking"?

9. pogsklinc thread starter macrumors newbie

If by "tracking" you mean the noise that it usually makes during start up, then yes.

10. pogsklinc thread starter macrumors newbie

So does anybody have any ideas? This is one of those issues I'd like to clear up.

11. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I Googled around a bit and found this in an old iMac discussion about slot load drives (I know your disc isn't in the drive) maybe it will work for you:

Hold down the 'C' key on the keyboard when you turn on, this forces the Mac to boot from the CD (It can't of course). Then when it fails to boot, it will revert to the hard drive and eject the CD.

Also you could try Apple: Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

and/or

Apple: Apple Portables: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

12. pogsklinc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for both of those links. Unfortunately though, neither fix worked. I must admit. I'm completely stumped.

13. ahjjones Guest

Call Apple! No one on this forum can help get your computer replaced and you're just wasting time by not calling them. I'm fairly certain they would replace your laptop on the stop or at least repair it.