Major Switch - PC to Mac. Need Some Advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mr-tck, Mar 2, 2008.

  1. mr-tck macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2008
    #1
    Need some advice from this wise group:

    I’ve seen the light and I have finally decided to switch from a PC to a Mac. Currently I own a ThinkPad T42p with a 20 inch IBM monitor. It is a great a machine but the Macs are too sexy and powerful to resist any longer.
    I am planning to buy the following:

    • MacBook pro – 15 inch. Probably high end configuration
    • ACD 30 inch
    • Time capsule
    • Apple TV

    I am going to wait until the WWDC to see if Apple comes out with some new ACDs that are long overdue. Tell if you think this is a smart move?
    Should I wait to see if Apple delivers in June another MBP with a new processor or should I buy the most recent release with the Penryn processor? I am designer/developer and power user/prosumer (whatever that means).

    Need some help with this decision.
    Thanks!
     
  2. Hankster macrumors 68020

    Hankster

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2008
    Location:
    Washington DC
    #2
    I wouldn't wait until June as there are no real indications of any upgrade at that time. Everything is just hearsay.
     
  3. NateDMB macrumors regular

    NateDMB

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2008
    #3
    Sounds like you have all bases covered. I don't see the point in the 2.6ghz configuration. It's minimal speed for about $200. I would go with the 2.5ghz.
     
  4. Ugg macrumors 68000

    Ugg

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    Location:
    Penryn
    #4
    It might make sense to wait on the ACD, but not on the MBP.
     
  5. mrkramer macrumors 603

    mrkramer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #5
    I would buy the MBP now and then wait on the ACD until WWDC to see if it is updated.
     
  6. mr-tck thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2008
    #6
    Thanks all, this helps. Any other opinions about the new macbook pro? 17 inch versus 15?
     
  7. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

    cohibadad

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2007
    #7
    Have you read many posts here? but seriously. The only thing I would wait for is the ACD. I'm waiting. It is due for an update with hopefully isight built in. You are going whole hog for a PC to Mac switch aren't you. I'm assuming you've used a Mac and it does what you want it to do.
     
  8. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario Canada
    #8
    Why not get Dells 3008WFP it's way better than the Cinema POS, more ports and connections better panel and it looks better.
     
  9. mrkramer macrumors 603

    mrkramer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #9
    How much do you want to carry it around, you can get the 15" with the same specs as the 17" except for the screen, so the choice between 15 and 17 inch models is whichever you personally prefer.
     
  10. gothamm macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    #10
    I would wait on montevina. Did you notice how they are pushing the clearance of the current SR chipsets? Its extremely obvious they are making room for montevina. Its almost a guarantee that you will see new MBP's in june, and quite possibly a case redesign. When intel releases Montevina, apple will HAVE to follow and update, to keep up with competition.
     

Share This Page