Major Time Capsule wifi issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jersan, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Jersan macrumors newbie

Hi

Sorry if this problem has been raised elsewhere in the forum, couldn't seem to find it!

I am having major issues trying to get my TC to work with an existing wireless network.

I am using a Macbook and an iMac, having just upgraded both macs to snow leopard.

I connected the TC to a BTVOYAGER wireless router using an ethernet cable, turned on airport and it worked fine for a few hours. Then, suddenly lost internet connection. Other PC's connected just to the BTVOYAGER also lost connection to the internet, although were still connected to the router.

After much troubleshooting, after removing the tc from the equation managed to re-establish internet connection on the windows PCs. However, when connecting the macbook to the btvoyager (not using time capsule at all) the internet connection was lost on all computers. disconnecting the mac and resetting the router brought back the connection.

I am ignoring the time capsule completely at the moment until I can get btvoyager to work again with my macs.

I am able to connect to public wifi, so know that the airport on the mavbook is working ok. I have also turned off IPv6 configuration as I am not sure the BTvoyager is compatible with v6.

all other settings on aiport seem to be ok and it will connect to the btvoyager network, just not to the internet. and nothing else will either!

Any ideas?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks

2. Jersan thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

This has obviously stumped you all!

The issue of the MB cutting out internet connection for all other computers seems to have resolved itself . However, I still can't connect either the MB or iMac.

I have tried a factory restore, to no avail.

Basically now the problem is the MB connects to the router (still not using the Time Capsule at this stage) but not the internet. The MB says it's connected but according to the router's configuration, there is nothing connected.

If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated. I have been unable to access the internet for a month now and it is becoming very inconvenient!

Thanks

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

Are your Macs obtaining an IP address? Dynamic or static IP? How are you connecting, wired or wirelessly? If you are connecting wirelessly, have you tried deleting your network from the list of wireless networks and reconnecting from scratch? Try hardwiring the Macs to see if they will connect at all through your router.

4. Bastiankigali macrumors newbie

My TC is connected through the ethernet cable with a Dlink wireless router. But i cannot find the TC wirelessly any longer since a couple of days and therefore no backups either. If i connect through cable, then i can access and back up but that's not the idea, isn't it. What am i doing wrong? Hope somebody can help.

Thanks,
    Bastian

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

If the TC is connected to the D-Link by Ethernet, then I assume it's running in bridge mode? Or is the TC creating its own network?

If you haven't already done so, do a hard reset on your TC (hold reset button for ~30-60 sec) and set it up from scratch, making sure you set Internet Connection Sharing to Off (Bridge Mode).

6. Bastiankigali macrumors newbie

i did a hard reset already and re-entered the passwords. Sharing is off (bridge mode) and opted for the joining wireless network option. still can't find the TC wirelessly.

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

I'm honestly stumped as to why it would stop working. It seems you've set it up properly. Does the TC need to be connected wirelessly or could you hardwire it to your router? And have you tried calling AppleCare (assuming you are within your warranty period or have purchased extended AppleCare coverage for either of your Macs)?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Best of luck figuring it out.