Major time machine issue!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by syavno, Sep 10, 2009.

1. syavno macrumors member

Hi Folks!
    I have a mid-2008 (June) MBP 15". Just upgraded to SL last night. I am having a serious issue with time machine. I've been using it with the same external HD since I bought my mac last year. No issues up until I installed SL last night. This morning (my first backup since upgrading), time machine started backing up (~ 9Gb) but just stops at around 300Mb. The clock keeps spinning, but there is no change in the amount backed up.

I'm reading that other folks are having this issue as well. Has anyone figured something out?
    I've run disk repair (nothing found), restarted my mac & external HD (several times each), and cancelled and restarted the time machine backup (several times). Each time it freezes at a different amount (i.e. 34Mb, 284.2Mb, etc...).

Any help, would be appreciated!:apple:

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Had the same issue on my Mom's MacBook with a Time Capsule. Would never finish that first backup after the SL upgrade.

Since she doesn't need *historical* backups, we just did a clean erase of the Time Capsule and did a fresh Time Machine backup. She's back up and running fine now.

I had made other backups of the system and essential files before I did this.

-Kevin

3. syavno thread starter macrumors member

The problem is that I NEED all my historic backups. I am still having trouble after upgrading to 10.6.1, only this time, my system completely froze!

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Then only thing I can think of is to get another external drive and start your SL backups from scratch on that. You'll still be able to access your old TM backups on the old external.

Sounds to me like you are having major issues with SL as well as TM.

-Kevin

5. syavno thread starter macrumors member

But, is anyone else having the same issue as me? 10.6.1 didn't fix the issue, and I have to disable TM until something is done! I am in desperate need to use TM as my MBP is used exclusively for research and my files change rapidly! PLEASE HELP SOMEBODY!!! :(

6. JonnyBravo macrumors regular

Hey Sayavno

Just wondering if you're still having this problem. I have this continuously and I notice that it happens more frequently when I accidentally put my macbook pro to sleep while time machine is active. (i.e. the next time time machine runs, time machine fails to finish mid-stream).

The only way I've ever gotten Time Machine to continue is doing a restart on my computer. After restarting the computer and restarting time machine, the backup goes all the way through.

This happened in Leopard and still happening in Snow Leopard so I guess Apple hasn't fixed this yet.

Its not a significant problem but it IS slightly annoying. Did that work for you?