Major Trouble Uninstalling Hotspot Shield-Please Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nychyna, Dec 11, 2013.

1. nychyna, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

nychyna macrumors newbie

Fairly new to Macs. I need to un-install the irritating and damaging Hotspot Shield v. 3.19. I'm running OS X 10.8.5. I've searched high and low on Youtube and online but no solution. The biggest problem I'm having to try to manually uninstall is that I can't figure out how to close the darn program therefore preventing me to uninstall whatsoever :mad:

-I've tried force quitting but it doesn't even show up there
    -I've tried right clicking on the icon on my menu bar--nothing happens

Someone/anyone please help.:confused: And an uninstall reassuring all files are deleted and uninstalled. I already feel it's effecting my comp's performance. Thank you in advance!

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

If you run activity monitor you should be able to see its processes running in there and kill from that point?

Or you could safe boot and then uninstall which with most apps is just drag out of the applications folder to the trash.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sometimes when you try to quit a process, it automatically relaunches. Here's the solution. You can check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want:
    • System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items (SL and older: System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items)
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/LaunchAgents
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/LaunchAgents
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/StartupItems

Once you've removed the app from the startup list, restart your Mac and the app won't automatically launch. Then proceed with the following instructions to uninstall. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion: