Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Okay, I'll try to condense this as much as possible. I have an imac, MBP, cell phone, and a couple gaming systems which connect to my network via wifi. All has been well for ages with this setup. 10.5.5 comes along and I didn't install it for a bit. Thursday I finally do it, and now my iMac cannot stay connected to the network.

The other devices all connect with no problem what so ever. I turned off my network security and same problem. I unplugged modem + router for 10 mins, problem persisted. I then fully reset my router and left it at default, same result. My iMac either gets no IP address, fails to connect at all, or does a self assigned IP which doesn't do anything because I still cannot get online. I also updated my router firmware with no effect (i tend not to do this unless I need to, it usually ends up causing more trouble than it fixes).

My router is a netgear wgt624 v3. This first occurred when playing WoW. This had me checking the WoW forums for solutions. Over the past week, the problem has happened enough times without WoW being on for me to rule it out as a cause.

My router is in the same room as the iMac, so this is not a range issue. The other devices connect fine, so it is not a shot router. I am at a loss for what to do. I am going to take the computer to another network in a couple of days when i have the time (school/work.. too busy) but I am unsure if that will help me much. If it works there I'll be further perplexed, and if it doesn't I guess it's time to consider a faulty airport card? I am under warranty still.

Anyone know of a possible cause to this? Or how to further investigate. Aside from trying on another network I feel I have exercised all options.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Hmm... I've seen a lot of reports specifically regarding iMacs (and only iMacs) and the inability to connect to a wireless network after updating to 10.5.5. I guess you could try reinstalling Leopard? and stay away from 10.5.5 update, it seems to cause a lot of iMacs network problems...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.