Major TV Networks Now Available in iTunes Canada

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ipedro, May 28, 2009.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

The major American TV networks have finally joined iTunes Canada.

Up until now, Canadians had to contend with Canadian only content or go the illegal route and purchase US iTunes cards in order to watch popular TV shows.

Studios joining iTunes Canada are: ABC, Fox, NBC Universal, and Warner Bros. CBS is notably absent.

Apple has responded to requests for more TV shows in Canada by placing the blame on licensing issues between the studios and the CRTC, the regulating body for television and radio in Canada.

Canadian broadcasters were also said to be a block since they purchase licensing from the major networks to broadcast shows in Canada and having the major studios sell directly to Canadian consumers was seen as cutting into their revenue.

With these hurdles now suprassed, content from HULU and directly from TV websites can't be far behind since the issues preventing them from showing content are the same as those that were obstructing iTunes.

note: These networks appear to sell content exclusively in HD. Standard Definition shows are not available. This unfortunately comes at a price: TV shows are CAD$2.49 per episode. However, this price is below the US iTunes HD episodes which sell for US$2.99 (CAD$3.50)

2. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Great news! Assuming that 100% of my shows are available and I can consistently get what I need, I would actually consider switching from OTA-HD/FTA + torrents to iTunes. I like the idea of not having to actively search, download, convert, and add meta data.. I like it so much that it is worthwhile paying for the content to not have to do that!

3. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

I've been Cable free for 2 years now. I just got a US account and bought a $100 iTunes card every few months instead of the near $100 I was paying monthly for cable.

I use OTA for live stuff but I don't bother with recording stuff even though I have an EyeTV.

It's so worth the convenience of wanting to sit down and watch a show, and in a few clicks of the remote, you're watching it. And you get to keep it.

Pretty soon, you have a collection of your favorite shows which becomes the equivalent of re-runs, but only of what you like.

I think I can stop using that US account now :)

4. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

A couple of months ago I finally got through ALL of my DVDs (movies and TV shows) and now have close to 2TBs of movies and tv shows to basically create my own network of re-runs! You're right, it is great to have.

Now with new shows, I'm thinking it's going to be a tough sell to keep using torrents when I can get them through iTunes easily...

OTA is for live sports for me, occasionally network shows but I'm so used to watching them on appletv that I can never remember to sit down and watch them.