Major (Weird) Internet Problem After SMC Reset

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by illinirazorback, Oct 6, 2014.

1. illinirazorback macrumors newbie

I've been having some speed and battery charging issues on my late 2012 MacBook Pro (15" i7, running 10.9.5). So based on some articles and forum posts, I decided to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) using the Shift-Control-Option-Power Button while the computer was shut down. Upon restart, everything seemed fine, except most websites will not load now. Weird thing is that a lot of other internet traffic is still fine. "Normal" sites (news sites, Amazon, weather sites, Apple, MacRumors, etc) will not load. Browser says it is waiting for a response and it times out. However other sites and web traffic that seem more "secure" (Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, all email, CrashPlan, iCloud) all work just fine.

Things that haven't worked:
    Restart (duh)
    Modem/router reset
    Different networks (wired or wireless)
    Different browsers
    PRAM reset
    Time Machine restore from previous day when it was working

Things that do work (but aren't fixes):
    Everything through the Tor browser
    Restarting in Safe Boot

The latter obviously seems like it would be something new I installed, but I didn't do anything except that SMC reset.

Help?

2. illinirazorback thread starter macrumors newbie

So I'd thought I'd update and bump in a seemingly futile attempt to get this figured out. I did a complete wipe and reinstalled everything from scratch. Worked great, for a while. Now it's back doing the same thing, even after I installed Yosemite.

I can't find anything like this on any support sites or blogs. It's really infuriating!

Thanks in advance.