Major wireless connection problems with new 17" - broken?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dealmaker, Sep 24, 2010.

1. dealmaker macrumors regular

So I have bought a refurb 17" MBP from the Apple store. Configured at it work with no problems - brought it home and logged onto my home wireless network no problems - first night.

Turned it on yesterday - and a dialogue box came up "None of your preferred networks are available" - "a WEP pass code is required". So I put in the network passcode (even though I've already done this and previously saved it) and it keeps failing to connect and saying "connection timeout". Anyway eventually it connects and works OK for a while - however when it goes into sleep mode it loses the connection again and again I struggle to get it to connect.

I ended up switching it off in frustration.

So tonight - same thing - keep trying to connect - keep getting the "connection timeout" message???

Eventually I get it to connect - so it's as if it's only connecting 1 time in 20 ???

I never have any other problems with any of my other devices on my home network (a Netgear DG834GT v3 router) - including my iPad, iPhone 4's, and MBP13" - as well as various PC's etc. NEVER!

So why is it that it's just this new 17" thats having the problem??? Is it broken ...could this be why it was in the refurb store???

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

They can't sell it broken if they know about it. Try unplugging your router for a few seconds, plugging it back in, then try connecting.

3. dealmaker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - yes I have tried that a couple of times - same problem though whenever I try to reconnect?

4. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Do you have access to another wireless network you can try, if it gives the same problem then it`s probably your Mac, if not then it`s an issue with your network.
    Will it connect OK via ethernet cable (just as a test of the connection)?

5. dealmaker thread starter macrumors regular

I will take it into work tomorrow and see how that goes.

I have been unable to get it to connect to my network at all tonight - keeps saying "connection timeout" - and bizarrely even though I have entered it multiple times it keeps asking for the WEP key passcode????

So I tried switching off the network security but it still wouldn't connect.

It's bizarre as my 13" MBP connects first time every time?? The 17" just doesn't want to know!

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Try this:

- Turn off AirPort
    - Go to Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
    - Delete com.apple.airport.preferences.plist and preferences.plist
    - Restart computer then try to connect again.

(By deleting those two .plist files, you might have to re-enter all passwords for networks)

7. TJones macrumors regular

Another thing to look for is how many other wifi networks might be using the same channel as yours. I used iStumbler and found that a few were occupying the same channel. Once I switched my router to an unused channel my problems disappeared.

8. dealmaker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - I will try that now!

Thanks - I live in the middle of nowhere - so my network is the only one around!

9. dealmaker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks- OK tried it - but exactly the same - just says "Connection Timeout"

I wonder if its my Netgear router that's the problem? Just strange that everything else works?

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Create a new user and see if you can connect there.

11. dealmaker thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah - tried that thanks - no joy.

Took it to work today - and tried it on three different wireless networks - (one WPA - over Apple Extreme - one WEP - Linksys- and one open - also Linksys)

It wouldn't connect at all to two of the networks (open and WEP) and other one it was intermittent and wouldn't hold the connection.

Looks like its back to Apple!!

It's a refurb I bought last week - can I just take it into an Apple store??

12. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

netgears router have a tendency to have trouble with mac. google it and you will find some quick solutions.

im so glad i switched to linksys before i got a mac