Make a bootable dvd

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by cool11, Jul 20, 2011.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I copy the process from here:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/15659622#15659622

Right click on “Mac OS X Lion” installer and choose the option to “Show Package Contents.”
    Inside the Contents folder that appears you will find a SharedSupport folder and inside the SharedSupport folder you will find the “InstallESD.dmg.” This is the Lion boot disc image we have all been waiting for.
    Copy “InstallESD.dmg” to another folder like the Desktop.
    Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button.
    Select the copied “InstallESD.dmg” as the image to burn, insert a standard sized 4.7 GB DVD, and wait for your new Lion Boot Disc to come out toasty hot.

Here is what I see:
    http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/9122/lionm.jpg

Where is the sharefolder folder?

2. proimage1 macrumors newbie

proimage1

Just a quick question - I just recently switched over to Mac, so I'm still trying to find my way around ( enjoying to by the way ) -- I can't seem to find the install icon ( if that's what it is ) evidently I deleted it after the installation of Lion. Bad habit of mine I guess, but I usually dump finished files into the trash, then empty the trash after that. Not really a big deal I don't guess, but I was hoping to make a backup DVD of Lion just in case I ever needed it.

Thanks in advance !

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It deletes itself after install.

4. proimage1 macrumors newbie

proimage1

5. proimage1 macrumors newbie

proimage1

It does work -- just did it and made 2 copies -- I know - that's anal -- but I'd rather be safe than sorry -- I've always done this --- going way back to Win 3.1 on my PC's

6. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

7. Windows Expat macrumors member

Windows Expat

You're missing the one folder that matters. Are your hidden files set to be visible?

8. iPadlover123 macrumors member

The Installer file is deleted after you install Lion in order to save space on your drive.

You will have to re download it from the Mac App Store in order to be able to make a bootable DVD...

9. whitethunder macrumors newbie

FYI to get the dmg for if you didn't make a bootable dvd before the install completed:

I just went back in time to my time machine backup just before I clicked the install button and the mac os x lion installer was in /Applications, I just restored it and Im ready to rock out the bootable dvd!!