Make a custom 3.1.3 IPSW?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by palz, May 16, 2010.

1. palz macrumors regular

I have tried and failed at making a custom IPSW. I extracted the DMG, decrypted it, decompressed it, modded it, recompressed it, and packaged it as an ipsw. I tried restoring to it, and now I am in recovery mode.

Is there any failsafe method of modifying and IPSW --- and I don't mean jailbreaking the root fs. I just want to modify some plists.

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Heh. You can't just make random changes to an firmware file. It will fail the signature check. You have to patch the bootloader to remove the signature check. In other words, you might as well jailbreak it.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

Just gonna guess

that if there was a safe way to do as custom ISPW the Dev-team would do it. My Advice stop messing with stuff that shouldn't be messed with by amateurs. Or at least only get a device you don't mind fing up. I guessing it's pretty difficult simply by the fact there is only a handful of people do this. you can restore it via dfu mode right.

4. palz thread starter macrumors regular

You callin' me an amateur? Hehe lol
    And dfu doesn't work.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Your modifications didn't work, did they ?

With respect to iPhone firmware, apparently you are an amateur. :cool:

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So what are you trying to accomplish you said?
    You want to create a custom 3.1.3 IPSW? For what kind of iphone, what firmware are you on? You're trying to JB it, unlock it or for what purpose?