make a dvd, sell / distribute ie sell on amazon

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by steveOooo, Feb 17, 2010.

1. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

i want to film a dvd (fitness) and then sell the rights to a distributor, and or sell master resale rights via a online form to merchandisers / shop owners. where the heck do i begin?

release forms for talent - ok

but then what do i do after ive edited, created the dvd? im based in uk but want to sell in all english speaking countries

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Usually you would talk to distributors before you film anything and make sure they want your product. If you've already filmed/edited, then you need to contact the distribution execs and hope they want it.

Other than that, you could look into selling the video on iTunes/your website via Paypal.

3. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ive already shot some fitness dvds for a dif. company - im doing it on my own company. There pretty basic. The guy i did em for has set up a site and you can buy 'standard resale licenses' and 'master resale licenses'
    He says he keeps in intelecctual rights so has the right to sell at amazon, play, hmv etc..

he says in a email he sent me:

all the rights are non-exclusive; a standard license would allow the licensee to sell direct to consumer only, a master license would allow the licensee to sell to consumer and also sell standard licenses to other internet marketers who sell to consumer… any of the licenses would not allow the licensee to sell to a distributor or sell via any auction site (e-bay etc). Therefore, a standard license would allow you to duplicate your own copies (or use a duplication company) to sell direct to consumer, the Intellectual Property and distribution rights are owned solely by Silverwood Media Ltd, so they have exclusivity to sell through distributors into stores online and offline (amazon, asda, tesco, hmv etc etc)…

so effectively, i can make a dvd, create a site, sell the resale license to shops and then sell myself to distributors

where can i find info on the legal side of things?

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

hire a lawyer

the laws are going to be different in each country.