Make a folder act like an old-fashioned server.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RobinAbbott, Apr 1, 2015.

1. RobinAbbott macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I'm trying to create a folder on a Mac that behaves like an old-fashion mounted server - so every time you drag a file into it, it's copied over and the original stays put. And when you drag something out, it once again makes a copy, and more importantly leaves the file there. Is this possible?

Now, I know what you're all shouting, "Just hold down Option, Rob!" But the folder in question is a shared Google Drive folder. No matter how many times I say "Hold down Option when you want to drag out a template", my people drag out a file without Option and it's no longer visible for the next person.

I know Cloud computing is here and we need to adapt, but I'm working with a varied knowledge and skill base who are used to working with mounted servers.

I'm an experience Mac user - 20+ years - but never venture into the Terminal. However, I'm willing to give it a go if that's required.

Apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forum.

Thanks in advance. Rob.

2. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

If you are the only one who should be editing the templates, then perhaps something as simple as making the folder read-only for everyone else would suffice.

3. RobinAbbott thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but sadly we use the folder for a number of things - sharing, editing, storage etc. It would be a seamless transition for us if the Cloud folder just acted like a mounted server.

4. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

Perhaps a Folder Action might be useful.

Info : Folder Actions Reference