Make A Intel Program Universal?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by WAM2, Jan 6, 2011.

1. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Ok So I Have An Intel Only App That I Really Need to use..

BUT. I Have A Powermac G5...

I Need to know if it is possible and if it is possible how to do it...

Please This is very important..

2. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

Do you have the source code? It doesn't sound like it so you are at the mercy of someone that does (probably the original developer). There's no reverse Rosetta to be had.

-Lee

3. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

All I Have Is the .app Which Contains everything needed to make the program run.. I Have Ran tests and I think i may have found how to get it to work by manually editing the file inside the MacOS folder.. Trouble there is I have no idea what program would be able to let me edit it.. Any Ideas?

4. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

It sounds like you have everything except an executable for the right CPU architecture, which is an integral piece.

If this .app contains compiled code, you are out of luck. If this is java or something interpreted (python, say) you could likely get it running. However, the chances are very likely that this is platform-specific compiled code since you said it is for intel machines. There will be nothing you can edit to make this run on your PPC machine. You would need to be able to recompile the source code.

-Lee

5. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Yup, just an FYI for the OP, you can check which architectures the actual executable contains if you aren't afraid to do a little work in Terminal, but I'm 99.9999% sure that if you cannot double click it odds are it isn't going to work.

To get the file info, open up Terminal and go to the directory that contains the .app

then type:

file (appname).app/Contents/MacOS/*

This should print out what kind of executable it is.

But like Lee said, if it's Intel only and you don't have access to the source code you are out of luck unless you can convince the developer to compile it in PPC. And keep in mind if it takes advantage of any 10.6 features then it's intel only and will remain intel only for now and forever.

You could try an emulator, but thats almost guaranteed to fail as well, sorry.