Make a mac type like an iphone?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ravich, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

My mom just asked me how to do this. That is, she wants auto-correct and automatically putting a period in if she does 2 spaces on her macbook. Why? I dont know, but she wants it.

Is there a way to do this?

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

OS X Lion (10.7.x) has the feature if I'm not mistaken. Check her OS version :)apple: -> About This Mac).

If she doesn't have Lion she can upgrade from the Mac App Store (Snow Leopard only) if she has 2GB or more of RAM and a Core 2 Duo processor or above. If she has the requirements but no Snow Leopard she can buy an install USB stick off the Apple website.

If she has Lion... she is missing something.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I don't think there is. At least I didn't stumble across it yet.

This does not work for me in LibreOffice, Pages or Textedit. There is no option (I can find) to enable or disable it in system preferences including the "secrets" prefs pane. It doesn't show up in tinkertool either. So Apple may be bringing iOS to OS X but they aren't letting us type multiple blanks to get a period. And yes I tried it during this post in Chrome. It doesn't work here either.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I just tested this out. Go to System Preferences -> Language & Text, then click on the Text tab. Click the plus button at the bottom to add a new substitution, and tell it to replace two spaces with a period then the space (just type those into the two fields). It's a bit delayed, but once you move on, it will insert the period.

jW

5. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

Lion has iOS like auto-correct, but it doesn't have the double-space period feature.