make a ringtone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brentg33, Nov 12, 2007.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

can someone help me out and walk me thru (step by step) on how to create a new ringtone by renaming the file extention....i updated to 1.1.2
    thanks

2. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

IF your on a mac, than convert your file to aac. Put it on your desktop and when you have the part you want, change the extention to m4r (it will be m4a). Then just put it into iTunes and it will be a ringtone. If your on a PC im not sure if this works...

4. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i am on a mac 10.5....how do i convert to aac and get it on my desktop?

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

In iTunes right click the song and go to convert song to aac.

6. fallingskye macrumors member

fallingskye

Under your itunes preferences -> Advanced -> Importing make sure the import using drop down says AAC.

Then just right click on the song you want to use and you will have an option to encode to AAC.

You will then have two files, drag the AAC file to your desktop and delete the original from itunes. Change the extension to m4r and drag back to the ringtones folder. Sync and it should be at the top of the ringtones list.

7. jeffreyfort macrumors member

is it possible on iPhone to make a ringtone out of a portion of a song? (like you can do using MiniTones on a Treo) Or, can you do it with some other program on a Mac, put it in iTunes and have it come into iPhone as a ringtone?

8. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

Can you use a full length track or does it have to be 30secs (approx)?

So far I have only been able to use 30 second tracks that I have trimmed in mp3 trimmer, re-encoded to m4a in iTunes, dragged to the desktop re-named to m4r an re-imported.

Anyone had any joy with full tracks?

My fav so far is the 24 VoIP ringtone:p

9. Macgic macrumors 6502

Itoner

You can use garage band to make it shorter then just import to itunes. Also i have full 4 pluss minute songs as ringtones. though there really isn't a reason except waste space on your phone, becasue phones only ring for 30 seconds no matter what.

10. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

I deleted garageband as I thought it was a waste of hd space, I am happy using mp3 trimmer, but I guess I am adding an extra step. Interesting to hear you have been able to use a track longer than 30secs, I couldn't seem to get iTunes to recognise it as a ringtone if it was over 30s.

11. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

garage band works great. i am not sure about the time. i had a ringtone 43 seconds and it showed in the list in itunes but wouldnt sync to the phone. i have luck with anything under 40 seconds. that is x<40 not x<=40 because i had one exactly 40 seconds and it didnt work

12. RosieO macrumors member

I did everything you said. It is now on my desktop as a m4r and I just cannot get it into iTunes. I dragged it into iTunes and that did not work. I imported it into iTunes and that did not work. What am I doing wrong?

13. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

either try changing the name of the file on your desktop or if you have it in iTunes exactly the same delete the iTunes file(obviously dont delete if the file is your original song) that should work, I fond myself having to do those extra steps sometimes.

14. Squidmark48 macrumors newbie

Audacity

Here's what I did. A lot of steps, most maybe unnecessary but it works. This is for converting an MP3 file.

1. Choose an MP3
    2. Open it in Audacity for editing
    (Audacity won't play an AAC)
    3. Highlight the 15-30 second portion you want.
    4. Cut it.
    5. Close out the Audacity file but not the program. Don't save.
    6. Open a New file while still in Audacity.
    7. Paste the section you cut.
    8. Don't do anything to it. Go to File/Export and export it to your desktop.
    9. Drag the file from your desktop to iTunes.
    10. Select the file in iTunes and "Convert to AAC".
    11. Drag the new AAC file to the desktop.
    12. Change the file extension to M4R.
    13. Drag the M4R file to the Ringtone folder in your iTunes Library. Don't drop the file into iTunes because it won't show up.
    14. In iTunes, highlight your Ringtone icon on the left and then click File/Add to Library.
    15. Navigate to the Ringtone folder and select the M4R you just put in there.
    16. It will now show up in your Ringtone playlist.
    17. Sync your phone.

Like I said, it looks like a lot of steps but it takes me about 2-3 minutes per song. You can get Audacity from Versiontracker.

There are simpler, shorter ways but this works for me.

SM

15. RosieO macrumors member

I deleted it from iTunes (not the original) and it works just perfect now. And I did use Audacity to shorten it! Thanks everyone for your help!