Make a working iCal icon.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AZnightrider, Jan 27, 2009.

1. AZnightrider macrumors newbie

I am working with Photoshop, Icon Composer from the OS X disc, and CandyBar. What I am doing is making my own icons. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to make an icon for iCal that actually displays the date or if this is even possible. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know. Thanks

2. bobdard macrumors regular

iCal in Leopard does display the date... it says Jan 27 for today for instance... or is that not what you are looking for?

3. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I think AZnightrider wants to make his own iCal icon that displays the date like the default iCal icon.

David

4. AZnightrider thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes this is what I would like to happen. I can't figure it out.
    :confused:

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The display of the date is done programatically by the application (or when it's not running by a small piece of handler code iCal registers with the Leopard Dock). It loads the static image which is the application icon with no date from inside the Application bundle then composites the correct date onto this in a pre-determined position. It then calls a function to set this image as the icon. Note the icon with date never exists as a file.

So basically you can't do this in Photoshop/whatever. If you design an icon with space for the date in the same place as the existing icon and replace the application icon within the bundle then it might work. If you want the date in a different location on the icon you are out of luck.

6. AZnightrider thread starter macrumors newbie

Where do I find this icon? I guess what I am asking is where are the program files? I can't seem to find them. I have been using a Mac for a little under a year, but that was mostly for mail, iTunes, and web browsing. I am excited about making these icons. I eventually would like to submit them to Apple as a package for children as they are a scribble like cartoonish icon set, and iCal is holding me up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Would anyone like to see a preview of a few icons?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Mac applications are packages: folders that behave like files in the Finder. Right-click on the application and choose "Show Package Contents".

I very much doubt Apple will want your icons for anything: they have no interest in distributing themes/icon schemes etc.

8. AZnightrider thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help everyone. I have figured it out.:)