Make an external drive from an iPod?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aarcarr, Jun 23, 2009.

1. aarcarr macrumors member

I have an 80gb hard drive from an old iPod that I wanna make into an external hard drive. Anyone know where I can find an enclosure for 1.8" hard drive with firewire?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not sure this is such a good idea. These drives weren't made for sustained rads and writes.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

4. aarcarr thread starter macrumors member

Thats usb. I've found a few of those, I'm wondering if I can find a firewire one.

5. MTI macrumors 65816

? An iPod is by definition going to be a lifetime of reads and writes. :rolleyes:

6. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Do you have a source for this information? They use an off the shelf drives.

Apple doesn't think it is a bad idea:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1478

7. Corrado33 macrumors member

Back in the day I used to simply format my iPod (while losing it's iPod capabilities) I would then, in turn, have an external drive. Simply using the restore function brought the iPod capabilities back.

8. aarcarr thread starter macrumors member

I dont have the iPod anymore, just the hard drive from it so I need to find an enclosure to use it.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Keep in mind you'll need a ZIF to [whatever kind of drive you get] converter, like this one if you get a SATA drive.

10. aarcarr thread starter macrumors member

I need a ZIF connection either way. Its what the hard drive has on it

11. iPowers macrumors 6502

You don't need to. I mean i use my ipod as an external harddrive some times. I mean you can just connect it to your mac (assuming you use a mac) and just see it on the desktop you can drag things in and use it, just don't delete the other stuf fon tehere already and you can do it however you want. No need to take it out.

12. aarcarr thread starter macrumors member

It says in the OP, I don't have the actual iPod anymore. Just the hard drive and was asking if anyone knew of an enclosure I can use that has a firewire interface. I found it myself, thanks.