make an iPad dock universal

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by aramosc, Jun 1, 2011.

1. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

Hi about a year ago after being pissed off from having to buy a new dock with every new iOS device that i got I decided to look for an alternative. I thought thet the ipad base would be compatible but the white plastic was in the way so whet i did was strip down the base to the metal part (remove the plastic) and like that it fits the iPhone 4 3gs ipod touch and many others. I have pictures of the mod and can post instructions if anyone wants it.

2. njaremka macrumors 6502

i know i've read about that mod before, so i dont think you are the first to try it. sounds like a decent alternative to having seperate docks for eeach device. however, i dont know if i would want to rock out with a bare metal-cast dock. kind of loses the design aspect that makes apple products stand out.

3. aramosc thread starter macrumors regular

aramosc

It's actually pretty decent looking if you take the whole plastic cover off there is only metal left so it looks ok.. It isn't as clean as the high gloss white dock but it does the job and it doesn't look like frankenstein..

4. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

apple sells a universal dock that is, um, universal.

obviously ipad wont work with it, though. been using one since the original ipod nano and all ive done is buy new inserts now that they dont come included with devices anymore.

5. aramosc thread starter macrumors regular

aramosc

I know but as you said it doesn't work with iPad.. this does work with all iPads..

6. alexjholland macrumors 6502

BETTER ALTERNATIVE: Remove the white plastic top, trim the grey plastic off with a stanley knife and stick it back on - works on all devices AND still has white plastic.

I've done an entire guide that's kicking around here somewhere..