Make an iPhone tether to another one

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cubytus, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Cubytus macrumors 65816

Hi there,

I have two 3GS, one that has a GSM antenna problem, and another one that's fine. Since both are quite slow, I'd like to dedicate each to a given function, but both would require Internet access.

Would there be a Cydia-available, or another way, to tether a SIM-less iPhone to the network-connected one?

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I believe you can still use the internet on a sim less iphone. Its just like an ipod touch.

3. Cubytus thread starter macrumors 65816

Sure it connects to wifi just fine. However this has nothing to do with using it tethered to another iPhone.

4. McScooby macrumors 6502

Crank up personal hotspot on the working one & tether the duff one to it using wifi, or am I missing something?

5. Cubytus thread starter macrumors 65816

Indeed you are. Tethering is achieved through Bluetooth. Wifi isn't even an option on the 3GS.

But I still believe Apple put some software restriction on that so each iPhone would require its own data plan.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No, Apple does not have this restriction. You can even disable cellular data on your iPhone should you choose. This "requirement" is from AT&T.

I'm confused what you mean by tethering then if sharing the Internet to the other is not what you're looking for.

You cannot share the cellular functions (like calling) if that's what you were looking for.

7. Cubytus thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I tested this older phone with the Mac, and bluetooth seems to be working just fine. So I can't blame a hardware fault (since the GSM antenna seems to be dead) for not detecting the "master" 3GS's bluetooth emission. However, even sitting right next to each other, they can't detect the other's Bluetooth emission. There must be a reason, and neither of the phones were ever part of ATnT network.

I know that. I want to share Internet access from the master 3GS, that's called tethering if I'm not mistaken, and still don't understand your first sentence in this quote.

Still, why wouldn't the older 3GS not detect the "master" 3GS, but would still detect. It doesn't seem to detect the iPad's bluetooth, FWIW.