Make an OS 8/9 disc with a PC (or Mac Mini G4?)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by thevividyoshi, Oct 15, 2017.

1. thevividyoshi macrumors newbie

thevividyoshi

I was transferring files to my Powerbook 3400c with the CD drive, before I accidentally bumped the power switch on my power strip and the computer shut off. Now, when I turn it back on, it boots to a happy Mac, and nothing else.

I don't have the original installation media for this computer, but I have images I made of some of my old discs (Mac OS 8.5, and Mac OS 8.0). They are in a .toast format.

I've tried burning these with ImgBurn by simply renaming them to .iso, and holding down C while turning on the Mac, but it hangs once again at the happy Mac screen.

I have a PowerMac G4 running OS 9, but it doesn't have a CD burner in it. I have my main PC running Windows 7, and I have a Mac Mini G4 running 10.4.11.

On a scale of 1/10, with 1 being flathead and 10 being torx, how screwed am I? :p

2. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

I love that :)

Your Mac Mini has a CDRW - install Toast on it from macintoshgarden and burn your .toast disk images there - should be straight forward.
    In fact, macintoshgarden probably has the disk images you need too.

3. thevividyoshi thread starter macrumors newbie

thevividyoshi

Is there any particular version I should get? And am I right in trying to hold C to boot this computer off of the CD?

Thanks!

4. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

Id go for Toast Titanium 6.1 and yes, holding C is correct - sometimes that can fail, if so you hold the alt key and that will give you a boot menu where you can select the CD.

5. thevividyoshi thread starter macrumors newbie

thevividyoshi

I burned with Toast Titanium 6, using a .toast off of Macintosh Garden. It burned fine, but when I put it in the Powerbook, and hold C or Option, it still refuses to boot from the CD, and shows a Happy Mac.

Starting to think this laptop does not like booting from CDs...

6. weckart macrumors 601

Get Toast 5.23 - the best version for legacy Macs. Grab a toast image (7.6.1 or later) and mount it. Set Toast to copy from volume and select your mounted toast image. There should be a mini menu of options. Deselect “optimize on the fly” and select “create a bootable disc” and then burn. If this doesn’t work then you have a hardware issue.

7. YYsMD macrumors newbie

YYsMD

I had a lot of trouble trying to get my 630 to recognize burnt disks that were made correctly. Then someone suggested using this Legacy Software Restore CD instead. This worked a treat, and also had a few key apps like stuffit on it (which would have been a pain in the arse otherwise, all the downloadable stuffit images are stuffed).

This has all the OSes on it up to 8.1, and is immensely handy. Worth having.