Make announcement telling people not to post about Jobs

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by macingman, Aug 25, 2011.

1. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I wanted to suggest the mods that maybe they should create an announcement similiar to what they did about UDID slots on the iPhone forum where it would show at the top of every page of threads an announced telling people not to make threads about Jobs retiring and to direct all discussion about Jobs to the thread from the front page. Reason is there is going to be many threads created for weeks I think.

Please let me know what you think of this suggestion. I also have some other ideas I'll post soon.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Is this really an extensive enough problem that is likely to be ongoing for weeks or months (as the UDID slots were) or just a quick issue for one day?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The issue with UDID sales was that it's against the contract between the developer and Apple. They were also against our Marketplace rules.

I don't think this situation is similar since those rules are not violated. Of course, we try to keep the discussion in specific threads so there won't be a million threads about this. If you see a thread with nothing new, then report it and we will merge/close it.

4. macingman thread starter macrumors 68020

macingman

I guess so, I just thought that since this is obviously going to generate a lot of discussion within the Apple and Macrumors community it may of been a good idea just to remind people there is a thread about it already and they don't need to make a new one. I suppose it's a better idea just to report them as they are posted, I just thought it may save the mods time if people are warned before the post threads. Then again I guess it's the same with the iPhone 5, it generates a lot of discussion but can be managed.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The Steve resigning threads will lighten up soon enough ... not so sure about all the "iPhone 5 threads" though

6. chown33 macrumors 604

I switched to the "no iPhone 5" threads, e.g.:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1218770

For amusement purposes only. Not to be taken seriously, nor with alcohol.