Make app (Skype) always running in background?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by adamran, Dec 15, 2010.

1. adamran macrumors member

Hi,

Is it possible on a jailbroken iphone to make the skype app always run in the background so ios dont automatically close it?

Thanks.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I thought skype did have native multitasking enabled.

3. kre62 macrumors 68000

Yes it is, however using iOS 4.x and the latest Skype version should already allow this. You will be able to receive calls on skype after exiting to the homescreeen.

4. adamran thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but ios4 automatically closes apps in the background as needed (if ram gets low), didn't know if there was a cydia store solution to stop this.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats if you have tons of open apps at once and even then I dont think it will quit skype.
    You can also use backgrounder from cydia but that will eat your battery alot faster than native multitasking.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

There is no way to avoid that, if there is no more RAM available, there is no physical way to keep the program running on the BG, that is the way the Core OS works. You can force it stay backgrounded as long as possible but when RAM is not enough to keep it alive it will shut down.

7. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

This is my biggest problem with iPad, it has such low memory for apps that require a lot of memory due to high resolution, Skype and other apps terminate very frequently.

OP, have you tried virtual memory hack?