Make Apple Dock Hide Under All Windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by moviscop, Sep 18, 2008.

1. moviscop macrumors newbie

I just got a MacBook Pro and have been a longtime Windows user with Rocketdock. I had my dock stick to the desktop and not cover windows. When windows opened, they covered the dock. Is there a tweak to make the dock stick to the desktop and not take up window space?

No I don't want to "hide" the dock.

Thanks

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I've never heard of a way. It seems somewhat counterproductive to the dock's function, really.

3. moviscop thread starter macrumors newbie

i just feel like it takes up much needed space for icons that im not using while engaged in a project. it becomes frustrating.

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

The best way is to hide. And why shouldn't you. When you run programs you see nothing, when you want to open another program (without moving all windows away) you only have to go down with your mouse, and when you've got your desktop without windows, you wont see the dock (which is the only downside) but when you want to do something you can just go down, and there is the dock again. So why wouldn't you do that?

6. gdphishman817 macrumors newbie

I understand your issue. I am a long time mac user, but I am forced to use a PC at work. If you saw it, you would think it was a mac. I have a dock program and xp is skinned to look like leopard. I need to keep the dock showing on xp because I have to minimize programs. XP can't hide programs like osx does. I have to keep the dock showing on windows so i know all things I have minimized. If you have firefox minimized in xp and click the firefox icon, it opens a new window as opposed to the minimized one. Mac does the opposite. And seeing as you can just hit command H to hide a program, I almost never minimize on my mac. So on the mac i keep the dock hidden. You'll get used to it. Trust me