Make (Author) a DVD Video?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 8Apples, Jan 29, 2015.

1. 8Apples macrumors member

8Apples

I tried to search the forums here for making a DVD, or authoring a DVD. A lot of info came up about making a bootable DVD which is NOT what I want to do. I want to make a DVD video. It is my own production from iMovie. I don't own Final Cut, and do not plan on purchasing it. I have an old copy of iDVD that is outdated, not supported. I also have DVDStyler. I'm looking for something decent. It seems that DVDStyler has always given me problems, or the DVD's don't always play right. This is non-profit type video stuff, so looking for a reasonably cheap solution that will work consistently and that is up-to-date. Thank you for helping with this.

8Apples

2. Macaroni Joe, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015

Macaroni Joe macrumors newbie

for making a DVD..

iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe. drag and drop files and even make a menu if you want. Incredible what else it will do. I think the version from their web site does more than the one from the app store but I might be wrong.. I love it.

3. 8Apples thread starter macrumors member

8Apples

Thanks! I have seen them, but for some reason I thought they were sketchy, and never really had feedback from anyone that used them. I appreciate the info!

8Apples

4. tdhurst macrumors 601

tdhurst

Seconded

Either iSkysoft or Toast (is Toast still around?).

I've been using iSkysoft for years, just remembered I made a DVD a while ago.

Works great, pretty cheap, great for converting files, too.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

If you still have iDVD, you should still be able to use it. What version is it, and what version of iMovie are you using?

7. 8Apples thread starter macrumors member

8Apples

I do have iDVD it is version 7.1. I have the latest iMovie too and that is what I'm using. When I open iDVD it says there is an update, however I'm not able to update it. Every time I click on update, it opens the App store and nothing appears there.

8Apples

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

7.1.2 is the most up to date version. You can get it from Apple here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1414?viewlocale=en_GB&locale=en_GB

It's not supported by the latest version of iMovie(iMovie10), in as much as you can't Share to iDVD anymore. Just Share from iMovie as a file, open iDVD, start a new Project and just drag and drop your Shared movie file into iDVD's main window.

9. 8Apples thread starter macrumors member

8Apples

Thanks! I have been using it without the update. The DVD's I create with DVD Styler are sketchy and don't work in every machine. It seems that the DVD's that I have created with iDVD always seem to work.

As for iMovie, thanks for the tip. That is the way I usually do it, so all good there.

I was just looking for an alternative that is still actually supported. Plus some of I would like some new themes, or some simple basic layouts.

8Apples

10. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

As well as the applications listed above, there are also quite a few free ones in the App Store. However, they all( even Toast, which is not cheap) use a very basic choice of menu. None of them come close to iDVD in that respect.