Make Backup of Garageband

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by bingefeller, Apr 7, 2014.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I just downloaded the upgrade of Garageband from the App Store and I also paid for the 14gig of drum loops and samples and what not. I'd like to backup Garageband for when, in the new few years, I get a new Mac I'd like to have all the loops and samples on that machine too without having to redownload them.

I don't want to back up the whole computer, just Garageband as it's the most valuable app to me. I don't use Time Machine or anything like that.

I did read up on this and I can't see a way to do it that stands out to me, hopefully someone here will know.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ I don't want to back up the whole computer, just Garageband as it's the most valuable app to me. I don't use Time Machine or anything like that. ]]

I realize this isn't what you want to hear, but you SHOULD create a backup of "the whole computer", just in case you end up with a failure of the internal drive.

If you don't mind spending $20, you can get one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Docking-...396885400&sr=8-4&keywords=syba+usb3+sata+dock

Then buy either a 3.5" or a 2.5" hard drive, put it in the dock, and initialize it with Disk Utility.
    Do you know anyone who has an old SATA hard drive they don't need any more? Maybe they'll hand it to you for free or next-to-nothing.

Then download CarbonCopyCloner from:
    http://www.bombich.com/download.html
    (FREE to download and use for 30 days, and the older version 3.4.7 is completely free)

Use CCC to "clone" the contents of your internal drive to the docked drive.

You are now completely backed up, and the backup is BOOTABLE. If you ever have a problem with the internal drive, just connect the backup, hold down the option key at boot, choose the external drive in the dock, and you'll be up and running in about 3 minutes.

3. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a 1 TB external HD, so I guess I could backup my Mac on that? I'd probably need to create a partition (I need to read up on this).

Thanks.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Maybe then you do need to start using Time Machine. Apple makes it really easy to move apps to a new Mac if yo have a Time Machine backup.

You CAN of course just copy the app from the apps folder but you have you know a little bit about what you are doing. If you use TM it is all automated.

The stuff you need to save is in /Applications and /Library/.../Applicatons Suport

If you can't figure it out for the above rough description, use TM.

----------

No. Just one one file system on the disk. Give TM as much space as you can and it will retain as many old versions as it can.

I assume if you are making recordings you want to back those up too. TM works for that.

Also TM is just your "first line of defense" and you might think about some redundant backups and even off site backups.

5. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, Chris :) Needless to say I still haven't got round to doing any backups!